Newly diagnosed with SVT and scared

Posted , 6 users are following.

I thought I'd been having panic attacks for the past 2yrs but after being rushed to hospital last week due to a major attack I've been diagnosed with SVT, I'm a 46yr old female who has become very scared as I had never heard of the condition, I was put on bisoprolol to start with but these made me very nauseas so I'm now on verapramil and awaiting many tests, I don't drink, smoke and drink very little caffiene, I have know idea why these attacks have started but at the moment I'm finding it difficult to cope and do the things I would normally do as I've become scared, I know I will get use to it but is there anyone else who suffers from this condition that would like to give me some advise please.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi. I have had this for 11 months now, I take verapamil twice a day. Had to stop hot drinks, big meals, and gulping cold drinks in the hot summer. I found good advice to stop the rattle on these forums, fetal position etc. do read the other peoples advice. My cardiologist also told me to put half a 5* valium under my tongue when it starts, I agree it is very scary. I hate this condition and the side effects from the drug and like you I am hoping I will get used to it but at the moment I am mostly angry - - - Jay
  • Posted

Hi thanks for reply, since my post I've had 24hr holter monitor, echo, ECG treadmill test and another echo this week oct 23rd and was told there is an extra pathway and will need ablation, now waiting for another appointment to go back and discuss with cardiologist, I've been taking 6 verapamil 3 times a day and not had SVT attack since then.
  • Posted

Hi thanks for reply, since my post I've had 24hr holter monitor, echo, ECG treadmill test and another echo this week oct 23rd and was told there is an extra pathway and will need ablation, now waiting for another appointment to go back and discuss with cardiologist, I've been taking 6 verapamil 3 times a day and not had SVT attack since then.
  • Posted

Hi. Thats a LOT of verapamil - - my heart goes to 230, so I take one V.. every 12 hours. When the rattle starts I had been laying down, legs on pillows, with blue plastic iceblocks on my chest and neck, usually stopped after an hour or so. Next time I will try the methods the other people use. As the V, its time release I also crush half and wash it down with coke to get it working quickly. I really dont want to go back to the hospital as when I had the first 230 attack they stopped my heart twice with some drug into the IV and the enormous punch in the back of my head was the worse hurt ever, and I know pain having broken bones .This didnt work anyway and I was very angry. They sent me off to the big hospital in an ambulance, the guys thought I was dying so drove like lunatics, in every pothole and up on 2 wheels, the Paramedic fell across me and back on the floor.BUT - this crashing about shocked my heart into normal rhythm by the time I arrived (45 mins) . I had the holter, echo, but not the treadmill s I have asma - keep in touch and tell me how you are getting on - Jay
  • Posted

Hi, Sammi have you had your ablation yet?

I have had svt for 28 years now . My first one happened when i was 12 years old and i luckly had just come out of the swimming baths and was in the changing room. to say it has impeded on my life and lifestly would be an understatement. I was not allowed to join the Navy when I left school due to having at the time an unknown heart condition and it has taken 28 years to find out what it was. I have had numerous monile ecg machines fitted in the post attack years but i have never had an episode whilst wearing one so they have never been able to confirm what i had.

recently whilst walking down the street in july and tripping (not drunk either) i managed to break my right wrist fairly bad and needed a reduction. while i was in A&E the re-sus nurse motioned to the consultant and mentioned someonething about my heart. Finally after being not taken seriously for all those years someone had spotted it smile

in a way it made me feel a 100% thrilled that it had been found but in another way i then started feeling very pprehensive and if i am honest a little scared that i might have something wrong with me (which i already knew).

I guess it was like a bury your head in the sand moment. all the worry was soon put to one side when i met my cardio consultant, Dr Peppr. Chris is a great guy and imo him and Andy Hogarth are the best 2 consultants you could be in the safe and caring hands of.

I was put onto betablockers for a few weeks and after a consultation with Chris i decided to take his professional advice and go for an Elctrophysiology study where they can perform the ablation at the same time.

This is done in a lab with your consultant and a full team of in my case fantastic caring people. From being admitted to the ward and then to be taken through to the lab the care and compassion i received was fantastic and second to none.

I felt that well looked after it was though I was a private patient. I have never met such a great deal of really nice people in one hospital.

The procedure itself if you have the option of having it done scared the pants off of me. When once i was on the bench apart from the initial worry (which was unfounded) everything went a lot better than i had convinced myself it would.

Your in great hands with a wealth of knowledge in one room. The procedure unlike some i had read about I was fully awake for and did not go to sleep at any point. The discomfort i was dreading was nothing like i had worried myself for and certainly would not hesitate about having it done again. By the way this is 24 hours after having the procedure and i feel fine. a little sore around the incision area but nothing bad at all. to be honest i have had splinters that have hurt more than what i went through yesterday.

sorry for a long and extensive post and please feel free to message me if i have left anything out at all or you need a little more reassurance

• Posted

I'm 49 years old and started exercising 3 times a week at the gym a month ago. But I've been a bit concerned about my heartrate as when I'm using the cycle machine my heartrate goes up to 172 within 5 minutes of training. It is the same on the running machine and cross trainer.if I don't work up a sweat my heartrate is about 130.. I'm 5ft 4inches and weigh 10 stone 1lb. My resting heartrate is 90 and I was told a few years ago when I was a St. John's first aider that it was a bit high.i only take a nasal spray foe hayfever and occasional take naproxen for lower back pain.have had mild asthma but only rarely need to use a spray.should I be concerned at all about my raised heartrate at all? It is the same occurrence on all the machines in the gym. Thanks
  • Posted

Hello Supermum12, In my opinion you are risking your life ---why ? ? Please find something sensible to do, not wearing your heart out at a gym --- take care.
  • Posted

I had my first SVT Friday evening. Really scary. It righted itself after about an hour in a&e. I came home that

Evening. When I woke the next day I felt like I was floating (just a feeling) and my chest really hurt and was still very out of breath. Had a good rest. Woke this morning still feeling out of breath and I know it might

Sound silly but can still feel my heart beating or fluttering a little quick. Went for walk around shop and felt

Really strange. Doctors have referred me to see cardiologist and have to wait for appointment. But still

Feel a little scared as of the funny feeling I'm still getting. Any ideas

• Posted

Hello Sarah. So sorry you have to "wait" for an appointment. Do you ever think now is the time to buy insurance, before you get diagnosed? This would give you access to immediate care, no waiting. If you are still getting the "rattle" in your midriff, try lying down on your LEFT side, curl up in the fetal position, put your radio on loud, see if this helps?
  • Posted

I was diagnosed with SVT only yesterday but because they haven't actually caught my attacks on monitor yet I have to wait three months before I can see a doctor again. In that time I'm being given a 48 hour heart monitor. I am very scared. I have been having these attacks for over a year but thought they may be due to poor diet. I am only 20 years old as of two weeks ago I feel to young to be thinking about having a heart surgery. Anyone have any advise or words of wisdom for me?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.