Newly diagnosed with SVT help!!!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone, I'm a 23 year old female who has suffered on and off all my life with anxiety. Last year I had what was thought to be an svt episode but it wasn't caught on ecg so it got out down to anxiety. I have suffered with ectopic heart beats through the anxiety it caused and just a few days ago my heart skipped and sped up to 240bpm I called an ambulance and had to be taken in as it wouldn't stop I had to be given 2 shots on adenosine which reverted my heart back to normal rhythm. I had to stay in for 6 hours but was let home with some beta blockers and a referral to a cardiologist.

The thing is I'm so scared that I will die from this, my anxiety just won't stop it goes round and round in my head. I don't get episodes often maybe 1 every couple of months but they are very scary.

Please does anyone have any good advice to stop me worrying as I believe these will be the end of me.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi can i. Call you xiamx? As to your concern. As far as i remmember i was 24 then. I was riding a cab i suddenly felt lightheaded shortness of breath. I tried to collect myself, since. I was afraid to faint inside the cab. As soon as i saw a small clinic. I got down and had myself checked. My bp was kina high. And my hr was 200 bpm. It took some time to settle to 80 bpm

I dont remember the meds thet gave me. I was diagnosed with arrythmia..and. Suffered anxiety problems. Which i deal with till the present.. I cant even go to the mall or anywhere far from our house without any companion. Its a sickness i could not shake off. So afraid of dying syndrome.my cellphone and my meds in my pouch is my.only security blanket. Its a bummer to have this. Coz.it affects the people i love around me. Thats why i feel your concern ms xiamax. So i hope my story makes your ordeal a little better. Since i guess you can leave your house. Or go to the mall as you wish.. Get well soonest

• Posted

I'm finding it hard to go out too and I have a little girl to look after which is proving difficult. Do you still have SVT attacks? How do you control them? I've been put on beta blockers until I can have an operation. Amy.

• Posted

Hi there, so sorry that you are having such a difficult time. I have had SVT and VT so I understand what you are going through. Mine was caused by a virus damaging the heart muscle but yours sounds like it has just occurred without heart disease. As far as I am aware SVT without heart disease is not dangerous but is still distressing. When you see the cardiologist they may suggest an ablation that can stop the Arrythmias. Mine are now under control with beta blockers and amiodarone although I still get ectopic beats.

• Posted

Thank for your reply!! The cardiologist suggested a ablation but I need a few tests first to see if I will benefit. Last time I had the same thing my heart rate was 140bpm so when I asked the paramedic to tell me what it was and he said 240bpm as you can imagine I was so so scared pleading with them not to let me die. They say it's not usually life threatening and I don't have heart disease, I have a lot of ectopics due to anxiety. Will I be ok? I have a 19 month old daughter I'm scared to die and leave her 😩 X

• Posted

Hi XxaimxX,

i am sure you will be ok. What you have is not life threatening, it's just very scary. You will not die of it and you will be able to see your daughter grow up. Have you had help with your anxiety before? It may help to ask for help from your GP, perhaps CBT might reduce some of the awfull feelings you are having. Sending you my best wishes. You are not alone, we are thinking of you. X

• Posted

Hello XxaimxX

I completely understand what you are going through. I'm a 28yr old female who at first was told that what I had was SVT. My heart has reached high numbers in the 200bpm also. This all started for me at the ends of last year around November and was finally diagnosed on feb 3 of this year 2 days before my 28th Birthday. Lol talk about a gift right! However I want to share my story because like you I thought this condition would be the death of me. I remember going to the ER for dizziness and dificulty breathing and was told that the reason why I felt that was because my heart was in the 200bpm I couldn't believe it. My husband was with me that day also. Now I'm someone who does not like to take meds unless absolutely necessary so I waited it out, refused the meds and after about 6hrs my heart was at 93bpm. I then f/u with my Primary care doctor who put me in a 24hr halter. He said I had SVT and referred me to a Cardiologyst. My Cardiologyst then did a Echocardiogram and Stress Test and told me that my heart was perfectly healthy and normal and that what I have is actually (IST) Inappropriate sinus tachycardia which means my heart is always beating fast. He told me this was not life threatening and that my heart was healthy other wise. I of course went home that day and although I received good news to me it still didn't make sense how could my heart be ok if is always beating fast. My Cardiologyst prescribed me with Metoprolol 25mg once a day but me being me I never took them. My Cardiologyst told me to only take them if my symptoms where to severe. I became depressed I lost 10lbs in 1 week. I was constantly crying and became obsessed with checking my pulse every minute of the day. My poor husband didn't know what else to do or say to help me. I was bad. But I decided one day to shake myself up. I then went to se a Electrophysiologist which I suggest for you to find yourself one. This is a Cardiologyst with a sub study in the electrical rhythm of the heart they are the Dr's to see when it comes to SVT or IST. Anyways I went to see the EP doctor and I asked so many questions, bless the poor man but I had to make sure I would be ok. The Dr reassured me that SVT and IST is not life threatening. He told me that I could still live a normal life with 0 restrictions. He told me I could still travel and even do roller coasters Lol which I Love. He told me to exercise and drink at least 3L of water per day and took tajethe meds should I need them. Since then I made a prayer and with God's help first and my family I am better today. SVT will not kill you is just something you have to learn to live with. I am currently in No meds and my heart rate is always in the 100s but I now know that this will not kill me so why worry. I still get dizzy and short of breath from time to time. I get my skipped beats at least 3-4 times a week and sometimes feel a fluttering sensation in my chest and yes is scary and alarming but not deadly. SVT in addition with heart rate also brings a lot of anxieties and worrying feeling, but I don't blame you, I mean we are talking of our hearts here. But SVT can have a cure with ablation. I have read plenty of successful stories of ablation procedures and people being cured from it completely so there's light at the end of the tunnel. For my condition ablation does not work so I have to leave with it forever unless God decides to heal me from it and reach what they call spontaneous remission. But don't allow this from stopping you living because I went through it and fell in a bad depression I which on no one. You will be ok, believe it and proclaim it. I can honestly say that I now live a healthy normal life with no limitations and am taking 0 meds. From time to time I get my ups and downs but just leave your life day by day enjoy the good just as the bad but dont stop living if your heart is otherwise healthy follow your Drs instructions and kick SVT in the butt. You got this! Stay Strong 😊😊😊💪?💝💗 Blessings to you and your family

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.