Newly diagnosed with under active thyroid - side effects how long and how strong

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,

I'm Kirk. 48yrs old and I’ve just been diagnosed with an under active thyroid, and put on 50mg of Levothyroxine, taking first one tomorrow.

Until today I had no real knowledge or understanding of what it was or how it can affect me, though in hind sight, I’ve always had depression, the degree can vary from mild to extreme, but never considered a medical cause,.

The doctor didn't give me details of the level of issue, but slightly concerned about going straight to 50mg. I have to take daily for the next 3 months before a recheck.

I suppose at the moment the big question is, how quickly and strong will any side effects occur.

Regards,

Kirk 

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Give it time!  Everybody is different.  Don't expect to get all or any of the side effects.  Do ask your doctor and pharmacist questions.  GPs are not experts on this condition, so they prescribe based on blood tests, hence the requirement to retest in 3 months.Just make sure you see your GP regularly if you have any concerns.  Don't be tempted to self medicate or do anything without consulting your GP first.  Good luck! I am 51 and also on 50 MCG (if it were mg you would probably explode!!!) Some are on much higher doses.  I started off on 25mcg and moved up a bit.  The only consolation is that all your prescriptions of whatever kind are free due to the fact that you are likely to be on the drug for life.  Give it a chance and then review.

• Posted

Firstly Kirk dont panic,if you have an underactive thyroid you will be medicated for life.As regards to side effects not all people get them you will be months before you are on the right dose for you.The best advice I can give you is to find out for yourself about your condition because its a lifetime condition & one that many GP's do not know a lot about.Read all you can ,keep an open mind & join a group of fellow sufferers, there is an excellent one on Facebook called Thyroid Problems UK where you will get lots of help and support from people with the same problems that you are having,You can join their Patiet to Patient Support and ask questions ,please look them up & remember you are not alone with this,Good Luck & let us know how you get on.
  • Posted

i'm  a 28 year old female and i've got no side effects at all. you may not get them either!
  • Posted

Hi Kirk,  Welcome to the forum.  It will take time to get you on the right dose for you.  If I remember I started on 50mcg then 100 then 150 then back down to 125.

Have been on this for many years. I was mid 40's when diagnosed.  With regard to side effects you may not get any.  Good advice given here as it is a lifetime condition educate yourself about hypothyroidism.  Try Thryoid uk online.  Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.