newly diagnosis with LS started Clobetasol 0.05 %

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

Just got diagnosis with LS and is on Clobetasol 0.05 % for a month, them 3 times a week. I have had cramps,is this normal? Can you develop  squamous cell cancer from LS, my dad had squamous cell behind his ear that traveled through out his body in 6 months. My Dr. said if I see changes come right in. I'm 56 been postmenopausal for 7 years. 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi V, I am a male with LS and was diagnosed 7+ years ago.  I only treat mine with Clobetasol which I still use the majority of days as this is the only way to keep my skin as healthy as possible.

I have followed the Women's Health / LS discussion forum pages for sometime now as that is where you find out the most about LS, as comparatively few males have LS and suffer to a far-less degree than the majority of you Ladies.

The best place to start to understand your condition is to check out this video, please do not be overly concerned about the potential prospects you face, BUT do find the right ways of treating your symptoms that BEST manage what you experience from LS - I think you will also see from the video that cancer is quite rare, but again highlights that you need to get the treatment regime that works best for you in place ...

https://www.bsccp.org.uk/colposcopy-resources/the-lichens-of-the-vulva              Good Luck!

• Posted

Your doctor has said to come in if you see changes because of vulvar intreapithelial neoplasia (VIN) which is the presence of pre-cancerous cells. The connection between lichen sclerosis and vulvar cancer is vulvar VIN. Having lichen sclerosis puts one at risk for VIN, which then puts one at risk for cancer. Many people who are diagnosed with VIN have lichen sclerosis, however many who have lichen sclerosis will not get VIN. The HPV virus also puts people at risk of VIN. 

The risk of VIN and cancer are the main reason we are told to check ourselves in a mirror at a regular basis. If you develop a discoloured spot that does not go away you should point it out to your gynecologist. They will biopsy it and if the spot is small enough, the biopsy alone could be enough to remove the cells from the area. If not, there are other treatments to remove it depending upon where it is and the severity of it. I am on a 6 month recall to see if it returns after treatment. Patients can continue to get bits removed for years the aim of which is to not let cancer develop. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.