Newly inserted mirena coil

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had the mirena coil inserted on Friday (02/01/15) because of side effects i was getting from micronor - the main one was bleeding pretty much all the time for the past 4 weeks except for random days here and there. I decided to get the coil after reading other types of contraception available - I can't use the combined pill due to having migraines with aura and I tried cerazette, which worked for 10 months and then the side effects increased.

The insertion of the coil went smoothly and I was surprised it happened so quickly. Afterwards, I had stomach cramps for a few hours which eased after I took a bath. They then returned later that evening. I was bleeding when I had it inserted and by the time I went to bed on Friday night, the bleeding had basically stopped.

Saturday, I woke up and the bleeding had completely stopped. The cramps were on and off throughout the day. They then returned at around 9pm and this was after I had climbed about 9 flights of stairs in a car park. They weren't as bad as Friday but still uncomfrtable. 

Sunday, I woke with no cramps and no bleeding. This continued until I went to work and had been there about an hour so around 6pm. I waitress so I figured it was the increase in exercise making it move around more. When I got home, I had started bleeding, only lightly. 

Monday was fine, I didn't feel anything apart from some spotting and it was like that until 10pm. I got stomach cramps, and when I went to the toilet, I noticed the amount of bleeding had increased, it wasn't heavy but more than earlier on. The cramps went away for abit after taking co-codamol. I woke around 7am this morning and the cramps were still there. The amount of bleeding hasn't increased. I took ibuprofen and have been fine since around 8am.

I just checked my strings now and they seem to be longer than they were when I checked previously - about an inch into my vagina. I'm now concerned it's expelling, but I couldn't feel anything that felt hard around my cervix, but then I'm not entirely sure where my cervix is as I'm sure it's slightly to the left at the top.

Has anyone else had this before? Should I be concerned?

I'm trying to think positively that it's just my body trying to make sense of what's been put in it as I've never had any children.

If someone could help, or post their experiences, it would help massively!

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Dive got the copper coil and mine was the same. I freaked thinking it was coming out but it wasn't, they do just move about a bit at first and mine continued to do so for a year. I honestly wouldn't worry unless the strings are pretty much coming out. They cut the strings longer anyways co they could have been coiled p a little inside. Only if when u check n u feel the coil it's self is when to worry. Ur job is active like min, I'm a hairdresser so it will move about more x
    • Posted

Hi thanks for the reply! I get worried really easily. I thought that might be why but this afternoon the bleeding has increased a bit more. I haven't got cramps at all but I'm still a bit concerned as most things say spotting for a few days after and then lighter. 

I've got a check up for it on 27th jan

• Posted

No worries, least u can hear bout everyone else's to feel better. Just think though, it's still hormone that's there even if it is low so it may bring it on a little more. And I guess u will bleed a bit to start with cod ur body will want it out of there. My sister had yours n swore by it. If I could have had that one rather then the copper I would have. Mine needs to be out next month n I'm panicking lol! Wasn't pleasent having it put in so I'm not looking forward to it haha! Good luck with ur check up although I'm sure it will be fine
    • Posted

I was just freaking out about the amount of blood cus last night it was quite heavy. 

I'm too scared to feel for the strings now. I also wish I knew what I'm feeling for when feeling for my cervix. I thought I found it but then it feels like it's quite far on the left hand side. 

• Posted

Aww, if ur really unsure piggle them a call xx
    • Posted

The strings felt shorter yesterday. 

But now I'm wondering if the strings are too long, whether it could accidentally get pulled out when having sex? 

My boyfriend said he'll wait until I feel comfortable but I've heard you can wrap them around your cervix so he's less likely to feel them? 

• Posted

Mine seem longer and can only find one? Also find I bleed after sex does this happen offen
  • Posted

It can happen sometimes, it's happened to people in the past. It will move about a lot but settles down in a while. As for wrapping it round ur cervix, don't mess, let ur body do what it needs. Same night I had mine fitted I had sex, it was the only way I could stop the cramping in my tummy!!! Haha it was a little nerv wracking but it was fine. Without too much detail, my bf was pretty 'equipped' down stairs n we'd heard it could hurt him or he'd feel it but he never did, only with fingers but hardly ever really. Justbtske it slow n it will be fine smile 
  • Posted

I has mine since Oct last yr and fed up with the on and off periods will this stop

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.