Newly weight bearing

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello.  I was just curious what some of you all felt when you first started weight bearing after your ankle break/surgery.  I started weight bearing this past Monday, and it feels great to be moving in the right direction, but if I put too much weight on my foot, it feels like pins and needles are shooting down my heel.  Also, my calf is extrememly soar now.  I'm sure these are normal feelings after not walking for 6+ weeks, but would like to hear what some of you all experienced.  Thank you.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

When I first started to weight bear  that was when I still had my air boot on then after a week or two  it feels as though I'm walking on broken glass I go to see the consultant 27 Nov hopefully he will put things right for me I am worse off now than I was 
  • Posted

Hi eric59635

I'm now 9 weeks post op and I felt exactly the same but the pins and needles have stopped now and I got exercises from physio that stretch the calf. I'm still having to walk with my crutches and the physio is getting me to concentrate on my gait. It's such a slow process but I can see light at the end of the tunnel now. I have a day where I don't have much swelling or discomfort then the next it seems the opposite. I've gave myself a target of the end of November to be walking without my crutches so I'm working towards that. Good luck with your recovery.

• Posted

Good luck, Bailey, and thanks for sharing.  I had PT today, and he has an aggressive timeline for me.  He'd like to see me weened off crutches in about 2 weeks.  Today is day 3 of weight bearing and not sure how I'll meet that timeline, but I'm gonna try.  Tried a couple of steps with just one crutch today...that was tough.
  • Posted

Must sdmit  it nice to hear from someone else who has  felt the pins and needles ( I don't mean that unkindly  my cheropodist isn't very happy with the way him walking ,I've not had anybphysio I had a limp before my op,nothing to do with my ankle ,I walk with a walking stick and if it wasn't for the broken glass feeling I get under my foot I'd be more than happy with my condition 

I go see see my consultant mid Nov  will be interesting to se what his op opinion will be

hope you keep making good progress

• Posted

Hi Eric,

Yeah there is so much nerve damage and reconfiguring going on. It was excruciating for me, particularly as you have found on the heal. "And this too shall pass" and it will be a memory. Keep going, even though it feels like it will never end smile

• Posted

Hi Eric

I started weight bearing 2 weeks and 3 days ago, after being non weight bearing for 11 weeks post surgery and 13 since break. And it is such a slow progress. I find it is the worse last thing at night and when I get up in the morning, my calf and heal completely stiffen up because of this I am also unable to bend my knee whilst weight is fully on the newly healed ankle.

I can now walk on one crutch and sometimes unaided but it is more of a hobble, but progress all the same. I can't stress enough the importance of physio, I always come out of there feeling positive and that i have made progress. I still get pain at the top of my foot and when i touch my ankle where the plate has been fitted i get a pins and needles sensation across the top off my foot too. This must be the nerve endings restoring.

I wish you all the best in your recovery, it is a slow progress but you will see gradual (very gradual, I'm afraid) improvements soon.

• Posted

Thanks Steph.  Glad to hear you're on to one crutch.  I've tried a few steps on one crutch and it's not a pretty site wink, but hopefully in another week I'll be there completely.  I start physio twice a week this week.  I know it'll probably hurt, but I'm really looking forward to it.  
  • Posted

Hi Eric.

I went in a black air boot with 2 crutches when I first started weight bearing. Most of my weight I put on the crutches at first. After two weeks I went to boot and 1 crutch. Now 11 weeks post surgery ( plates and screws) I'm weight bearing at home in ugg boots with one crutch. Cant walk for very long and walk very slowly or should I say limp very slowly. Can't wear shoes as my foot and ankle is still very swollen and with pain. I also get pins and needles running up the side of my ankle and leg and on the top of my foot. Lost my calf muscle but no pain or anything there. I just wish the swelling would go down but it hasn't yet. All the best with your recovery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.