Nexium (esomeprazole)

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi Everyone,

I was jsut doing some research on GERD and the best antacid type medication and when reading about Nexium (esomeprazole) one of the rare listed side effects is Fibromyalgia.

Just thought id let you all know as it may be helpful to somebody.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Thats very interesting and useful to know. you never know what meds are causing what take care gentle hugs
  • Posted

for heavens sake, we get prescribed something like naproxen, with a side effect of damaging stomach lining, for which we then get prescribed omeprazole, lansoprezole, etc., then we find out that the meds we get told to take for fibro have side effects that cause fibro....geez, i'm giving up on pharmaceuticals completely and going back to trying to find natural remedies, dietary advice, etc.  Stressing about which meds I should and shouldnt take just makes the fibro worse.  Modern life is dangerous eh.
  • Posted

meds can some times do more harm than good. I cant take any pain meds because of the severe side affects I had, so  I use a hot water bottle for my back and ibuprophen. With the severe side affects ive had Ive lost all trust in meds
    • Posted

I'm so with you there Kaz, I've ditched everything except a very occasional naproxen for my arthritis pain and an even rarer paracetamol for the muscle pain in my arms.  I've treated myself to a wheat filled pillow that I heat in the microwave and tuck it under my right armpit - helps both the muscle pain and to support the arm when it's feeling like a lead weight.  Also finding the epsom salts a real help - even when it doesnt relieve the pain it really relaxes me and I tend to sleep better after a bath with it in.
    • Posted

Hi Loxie Im going to able world to get me some pillows especially 1 for my leg I lie on my side and rest my left leg on my right leg but its been painful of late so able world do a special pillow to put under you leg. Im also going to get some cutlery from their Im struggling to use knife form Im dropping more food to whats going in my mouth haha the wheat pillow sounds good I will look into getting me 1. hope you have a good weekend take care gentle hugs
    • Posted

Hope they help Kaz.  I hear you about the cutlery issue.  I love cooking but more and more I'm having real problems using utensils etc.  Just treated myself to a battery operated can opener - I love it.  Now I keep wanting to buy canned food just to use it smile - little things please little minds eh.  My house is now littered with cushions and pillows in every room (even the loo hahaha) as my right arm is a total dead weight and hurts like hell without support.  I can now lie in bed to read etc with my pillow under my arm and it relieves the agony from trying to hold up my arm unsupported.  Luckily I no longer eat meat having become a vegetarian a few years ago, so I find I can eat most of what I cook without having to use a knife thankfully.  Thank the Lord for 'gadgets' - food prep would be a nightmare without the mixer, processor, chopper, blender etc etc. smile
  • Posted

Whoopee - other half is on it.  Do hope he won't be one of the few - that's all we need both of us with Sprites on our shoulder. Will keep a careful eye on him. thanks.
  • Posted

It does say a rare side effect so it's not like most people get it but it's still worth knowing I think. Misoprostol seems to have less listed side effects and it's for protecting your stomach against NSAIDs but I'm not a pharmacy so couldn't say anymore than what I've read online.

• Posted

Hi all; not too sure re Nexium causing Fibro....havn't seen the site.  Thought I should say, though, that I had my Fibro before having to take Nexium....due to my gut ulcer.  The thing to realize from what I did research re Nexium is that it should only be taken fo ra period of about 6 weeks (to heal the ulcer/whatever), and then start something else (that's when I started taking Pariet to protect my gastric lining)...maybe useful for those  taking Nexium long term???    hoping all having an ok day?         Bron
  • Edited

I've been taking Nexium for over 10 years. I didn't know until recently that tour not supposed to take it for more than 14 days at a time. It was prescribed by my family doctor and when genetic medium came out my insurance switched me to it. I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia around 6 years ago and put on medication. My fibro symptoms started long before that but had no idea I had the illness till it got so bad I thought I was dying from cancer or something. NOW I'm dependent on it. I've tried taking other GERD meds but they don't relieve my GERD symptoms as well as the Nexium. What should I do??? 🤔

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.