Nexium Question

Posted , 5 users are following.

How long should I give a PPI before giving up? Been on nexium 20mg, and now 30mg two days of each and no improvement, worse if anything

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Chris, I wish I would have asked this question to myself rather earlier...I gave it a try for 8 months getting worse and worse, trusting my doctor and increasing the dosage...it was all in vain, in the end we found out i did not need it all together, i got more sick and it took me a more than a year to recover from all the damage caused by ppis...so consult someone else and maybe consider stopping it if you have been on it longer than 3 weeks with no improvement...good luck

ps. btw- try a strict diet, this is better than ppi therapy in some cases...

• Posted

Hi Joseph,

They made digestion process worse than it was initially, I would be more swollen and towards the end I was not digesting what I would eat...I lost 10 kg in 8 months. More, I found out later on that because of ppis my vitamin B12 and iron levels (ferritin too) went down and it's 5 years and still I need to get injections and never managed to get back to normal without supplements and injections. Same goes to vitamin D levels (even though this one I was told was due to sleeping pills ). The main damage was the digestion issues though...There were 5 different formulas of ppis we've tried, none of them worked for me the way a strict diet did...I am not encouraging everyone to get off ppis, as I know people who see the benefits straight away and on the contrary cannot live normally without them. In my case it was the opposite, and as soon as i stopped them I started recovering and gaining weight...so listening not only to your doctor who is following a protocol, but also to your body, is a big thing I have learned from that experience ...hope this helps

• Posted

hi sonya youre probobly right about ppis im on lanszaprozole a number of years now and during that time my iron is low, vitamin d is low and not enough folic acid in my system. i also have joint pain from time to time especially the elbows. i did try give them up a few times with no success. i would find it very hard to change my diet as my stomach is very sensitive to a lot of foods including fruit and veg. hence my appetite gone downhill which i attribute to a 3rd endescopy i had in october 2016 when i didnt feel right after it. i came out of my previos 2 with no problems so im convinced they did something to my stomach on the 3rd endescopy. when i mentioned this to my gp they just dismissed it. as you say they have protocol in such matters. thanks for your input sonya, much appreciated.

• Posted

Hi again Joseph. Sorry to hear about the endoscopy you had...did they do also a biopsy then? Strangely enough I had a similar kind of 'damage' after the first one - I think they pulled out the tube too quickly and did something to the valve on the top of the esophagus. it took a while- a year maybe- but i got back to normal. I tried acupuncture/osteopathy that helped to toning the valve...as for the diet I totally get your point, raw fruit and veg was something impossible for me, so what I would eat was steamed/boiled fruit and veg, poultry and eggs as suggested by a homeopath. no gluten, no lactose, no red meat for almost a year, it did worked as miracles. I am not sure if those were also because of the granules she gave to me, but the diet played a crucial role. One more thing was drinking plenty of water which diluted and took out acid from my stomach...also staying upper part of the body straight up after lunch/dinner was helpful. I tried also drinking green clay water which was soothing my stomach...so all together worked and now I am much better. Physical exercise such as yoga (especially breathing exercises) help too...

You basically completed also my list- I had not mentioned folic acid and joint pain. I had the same, and btw low levels of folic acid, B12 and iron make us a subject for a particular type of anemia- not dramatic, but still worth getting supplements.

• Posted

it must be something common in ppis that trigger other health issues which they wont admit to as they really dont know how or what their dealing with when the domino effect of ppis kick in.

• Posted

i have sibo now no idea if it was caused by PPIs or ranitidine. but I do have a hernia and I'm due a 96 hour ph test. I'm also on a lot of meds which I'm going into a mental health unit to have reviewed as it's got to a point where I'm constantly stressed even taking them and totally confused half the time what's making things worse. as for the ppi do I give it a week. definitely not helping my IBS, but ranitidine does the opposite gives me really hard stools, ppis seem to give me really soft stools but I still can't get them out half the time

• Posted

Hi Chris, i've been on your shoes too before and I changed my physician through recommendation from a family friend who got acid reflux before and she don't have it now. My new physician helps me to know what's causes the acid reflux, they sent me by mail to blow air on a tube and it has an instruction. The results were something about bacteria, so right now I'm on diet for 4 months, no bread, no pasta, no rice, use honey or stevia only for sweeteners, because I still have a little phlegm sometimes but manageable, it don't bother me. It helps also never to skip meals, really needs to eat breakfast, lunch, dinner. Exercise almost everyday run on treadmill for a mile on 3.6 mi/hour. I'm so serious on drinking water at least 8 glasses a day, I really try my best to sleep at least 8 hours because sleep helps a lot to get better, my physician said was that the histamine that goes to the brain which causes of the insomnia so that time I took a benedryle sleeping pills over the counter it's antihistamines because I noticed that lacking sleep could also trigger the attack. I stay away from sodas and eat more vegetable and fruits. I start to blend also lemon, beets, cucumber, sweet potato, pineapple, honey to sweeten and kale and that helps a lot, before I was something 140 pounds, now 117, 5'1 ht. I thank and praise God for the healing, my faith to Lord Jesus Christ grow, I see the goodness and mercy of God. That time I was so sick terrible attacked of acid reflux that goes up to my nose, ears and eyes and I prayed hard to God not to panic because the more I panic it hinders my breathing that I had a hard time to breath, it takes only a minute maybe, to breath on the mouth that it stop going to the nose, ears, eyes. I took liquid antacid every 3 hours and that helps me overcome that ordeal. I think acid reflux can affect the nervous system. Trusting God all by faith in Christ Jesus helps me survived that acid reflux attacked. I learn to forgive those hurts me in the past. Choosing to obey God is really healed me a lot, I learned that resentment won't gives you good health.

My physician is Dr. David F. Martin of Pinehurst Medical Hospital. I just want to help because I know how terrible acid reflux is.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.