Nexium unsure if to take

Posted , 8 users are following.

I've been told by dr to try nexium but I'm unsure do they really work and has anyone had side effects to them

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

They work for some and they have side effects on some. In my personal case they did not work ( all of them) and the plus side is that I had no side effect.  Now, if you are going to take them 4-8 weeks should be enough unless you do have some conditions that require you to take them longer.  So right now eating better is your best option if you actually want to get better.
    • Posted

Yes I wanna feel normal again I'm changing my eating habits and eating what I can that don't trigger it I've stopped coffee altogether as from today also going cold turkey with giving up smoking

• Posted

You only need to avoid foods that you identify as a particular trigger to yourself. There may not even be any.

Recent research has confirmed there's no re;ationship between foods and aicd hypersectretion nor causing reflux.

As for coffee, unless it is a particular trigger, there's no need.

These are just some of the recently published papers:

No association of coffee consumption with gastric ulcer, duodenal ulcer, reflux esophagitis, and non-erosive reflux disease: a cross-sectional stud... - PubMed ...

Effect of coffee on gastro-oesophageal reflux in patients with reflux disease and healthy controls. - PubMed - NCBI

"Coffee has no important effect on gastro-oesophageal acid reflux in GORD patients, and no effect at all in healthy subjects."

Coffee and gastrointestinal function: facts and fiction. A review. - PubMed - NCBI

"Coffee ... is not associated with dyspepsia. Coffee stimulates gallbladder contraction and colonic motor activity."

As for smoking. Stopping smoking is one of the best things you can do. It promotes reflux by relaxing the lower oesophageal sphincter.

• Posted

What about alcohol and acid hypersecretion?
    • Posted

Alcohol will not produce more acid.

It may relax the lower oesophageal sphincter but if yours is malfunctioning anyway, it won't make it worse.

• Posted

Nexium (esomeprazole) is one of a range of "PPI" medicines which are excellent at reducing acid. All PPIs are as effective as each other when taken in comparative doses.

PPIs are not so effective at reducing reflux, just make it less erosive. Reflux needs to be managed by lifestyle or surgery.

• Posted

Hi Teresa - it did make me sick - I then went on to Somac
    • Posted

Hi everyone thank you for your comments I took a nexium yesterday it made me feel spaced out for a while but did help a lil bit I went to dr this morning and she has given me omeprazole my question is as I took nexium yesterday would I be ok taking new ones today and are they any good
    • Posted

Omeprazole is just as good as Nexium (some say it's better) . Nexium was introduced by Astra Zeneca when the patent on omeprazole was expiring. In chemical terms it's the "S-enantiomer" of omeprazole which is an even mix of S-enantiomer and N-enatiomer. There is no evidence to suggest S-enantiomer alone is better than the mix.

Nexium has been linked to more side effects of headaches and nausea than omeprazole.

• Posted

rabeprazole only worked for me..i felt the difference within a week
  • Posted

Just wanted to make a comment here so is not directed to you Teresa. ;-)

Just about eveyone has mild reflux, with or without a good diet and with or without a good sphincter.  I have a good sphincter and eat no acidic foods and I have mild reflux. But just in case, I'm not saying this because of my particular case. Many of my Doctors including my 2 GI's  (yes, I have 2) confirmed this to me.

Now, in my personal case the apparent trigger is called STRESS which is not easy to control if you have other medical conditions and pains.  So my suggestion to all is to deal with your stress.  How, there is many ways like biofeedback, music, exercise, hobbies or my personal favorite going to Chruch and serving the Lord. Is up to you, but your stomach is not the #1 cause of all your pains, mentally and physically. It's your brain which we all now has a direct line with your stomach. Control your brain, think and talk positive and normally everything else will feel better. Now, if you want to eat like crazy then disregard all of the above. ;-(   Btw, if someone wants to talk to you about how sick we all are, tell them no because is normally all in your brain so accepting all these lies is just part of the problem.

God Bless! 

• Posted

Might want to look into using medium before u do it I have seen were several class actions law suits are going on due to nexium .
    • Posted

Sorry don't know why it said medium I ment nexium .

• Posted

Unfortunately the meds including nexium didn't work for me but that's not to say they won't work for you. I tried nexium for 3 months so I gave it a good shot. My sleep was awful on them. I had chest pains, bloating and constipation.

I was much better on Zantac 150mg am and pm. I then slowly weened off to just gaviscon at night.

Raising my bed with bricks helped immensely and changing my diet plus avoiding tight bras and clothes.

Dgl licorice works well for me too.

I also went on lexapro for anxiety 10mg per day.

Avoid stomach exercises and eating after dinner.

Good luck Hun and god bless

Dominique

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.