Nexplanon implant please help?!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi guys so I had the nexplanon placed in my arm 7th June and I haven't been myself since.

I cannot eat a proper meal for a start, my stomach feel like it has shrunk and if i try to eat more then my stomach will allow (if that makes sense) I throw up straight away.

Every night without a doubt since having it placed I am sick, and get really bad headaches, I phoned my doctor last month as I was sick of it and wanted it out but he told me I couldn't have it out as I haven't given it long enough to settle down. From 10th July to 20th August I have bled none stop and its really heavy (sorry tmi).

I might sound crazy but since I stopped bleeding I feel movement in my stomach and keep getting dark bloody disharge (sorry again tmi) I've had an appointment with my doctor and he says its gas.. So I did some pregnancy tests and this is were I'm stuck, 2 positive and 2 negative. I do have a little bump and its a little hard, but I keep getting sharp pains in the left side of my stomach.

So the questions I asking are, has anyone ever had these symptoms whilst using nexplanon? And has anyone fell pregnant using nexplanon?

Please can someone reply I'm not sure if I'm going crazy or if there could possibly be a little person inside me.

Thank you x

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sophie.

Can I ask how far apart were the 2 positive and 2 negative tests? We're the positive ones earlier in the day than the negative ones?

If you have had 2 positive tests that definitely indicates a pregnancy has a occurred at some point. You cannot have a positive test without a pregnancy however you can have negative tests when you are pregnant if you are very early, or if it is later in the day and the urine is more dilute.

It's important that you speak to your GP about the positive tests, it's a possibility that you were pregnant without knowing at the time the implant was inserted. There is also a possibility that the pregnancy has passed with your bleeding. However you cannot know this without getting checked. You need an early pregnancy scan and blood tests. You need to get your GP to refer you to the early pregnancy assessment unit, or call them yourself if you aren't getting any joy from your GP.

If you do another pregnancy test first thing in the morning that is the best time to do it. If it is negative then that will probably indicate the pregnancy has passed, however it is very important you still get assessed at early pregnancy to ensure you don't have an retained tissues in the womb. If the tst is positive in the morning then this indicates you could still be pregnant however you can still have a positive test after miscarriage has occurred. So it's important you do the test in the morning and get yourself checked out.

Did you have blood clots in your bleeding?

Best Wishes

Sexual Health Nurse

• Posted

Hi thank you for taking time to reply to my post.

I took the two positive test I the morning and the two negative tests in the evening.

I took a test before having the implant inserted and that said negative, i have a 3 year old and I'm not ready for another child just yet, i have made an appointment with my gp for tomorrow morning so hopefully ill get the answers that i need.

Is there a possibility that if i am pregnant that the baby could be alive? And if so would the baby have any health issues?

I wouldn't be able to cope if i found out i was pregnant and i was miscarrying.

I will take the 4 tests with me to my gp as the result lines are still quite thick, and i will do two more in the morning and take these with me as well.

Yes i had blood clots in my bleeding but I've always had them, I've been diagnosed with polycystic ovaries since i was 15 so I've always had clots when i bleed.

Thank you again for replying and for the advice.

• Posted

You are doing the best thing to go and see your GP in the morning. Yes there is a possibility that you could still be pregnant with an ongoing viable pregnancy as well, many women have bleeding during a pregnancy with no effect. The implant would have no effect on the pregnancy if you are still pregnant.

Sometimes when you pregnancy test prior to starting contraceptives you are too early for the test to detect it. The implant is a very effective form of contraceptive so it is extremely unlikely you have fallen pregnant whilst on the implant, however it isn't impossible as nothing is 100% effective but the implant only has a 0.05% failure rate and has better statistics of effectiveness than sterilisation.

The only way to clear this up is see your GP so you can be referred for the early pregnancy assessment, where you will be scanned and if they do find a pregnancy they will be able to tell you the gestation even if it is only a few weeks.

I wish I could help you more, as I am a fully qualified early pregnancy scanner. But there's nothing more we can tell without you being scanned.

I wish you the best of luck and all the strength whatever the outcome.

• Posted

Hi, my gp sent me for good test for everything and ive got to ring up Tuesday for results then hell send me for a scan.

He had a feel of my stomach and looked a bit worried, he's put me on anti sickness tablets and heartburn tablets.

• Posted

Meant to say blood not good sorry auto correct
    • Posted

Hi! I have a few questions. I've had my Nexplanon implant since April 21, 2015 and it's supposed to expire the same day in 2018. When I first got the implant, my periods were extremely irregular, I would bleed 3 weeks out of the month so my doctor had me balance it out with a months supply of birth control pills. This helped but around August of 2016 I developed a yeast infection (I had never had one before) so I went to get checked and my doctor gave me a prescription for monistat, after taking the medication and clearing up the infection, I stopped getting my period all together. I haven't had a period in about 8 months now. In march 2017 I started getting symptoms of pregnancy, I am not neaseous but there are days when I have absolutely no appetite. I had morning sickness one time but I'm positive it's the fact that I had eaten the night before and didn't let my food digest before going to sleep, after that I haven't vomited at all. I'm gaining weight like crazy, but my stomach isn't getting harder like it would during pregnancy, my biggest "symptoms" are serious mood swings, loss of appetite, headaches almost everyday, and weirdly, my nipples are very dry off and on and when I googled it, most websites say it can be a symptom of early pregnancy. I've never felt pregnant in the two years that I have had the implant so I am extremely scared that this is not just symptoms of the implant but actual pregnancy. I've taken one test last week and it came out negative but I'm going to wait a bit longer to take another one because I'm not too sure how far along I'd be if I was pregnant. My fiancé and I have unprotected sex and have been doing so for months on a regular basis so I have no clue when we could have conceived a baby which I why I don't know when to take the test.. since I haven't had my period in so long I no longer know when my cycle is supposed to be every month either. I don't know if this is normal with the implant or if I should make an appointment with my doctor. Please give me any advice you can, I don't know if this is normal!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.