Next Question - Red Foot?

Posted , 6 users are following.

The bone is healed and I am FWB in boot and PWB without the boot, but my foot is still red ....Sometimes darker sometimes  lighter, but red nonetheless. My foot is slightly swollen. It does not hurt at all. Is this typical for 9 weeks? 

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi Zeldas,

I'm a bit behind you in recovery - just PWB in a boot - but I have the same with my foot.  When I'm in he bath it looks like my feet are from two different peopleconfused.  I see to recall reading somewhere that this is normal and does go away eventually.  The whole foot has been through trauma, swelling and compression and the tiny blood vessels work overtime to fix it.

Good luck with your recovery.

Andy

• Posted

Thanks Andy.... It's true about my feet looking like they come from two different people LOL. 

• Posted

Hi again Zelda,

Hope you're enjoying this great sunny day, at least it is here...lol

I too have had this issue, initially it was absolutely purple and only calmed down when it was elevated.  However, I've found that now I'm starting to fully weight bear, it has calmed down quite a bit.  It does still turn that hideous shade but nowhere near as dark and it doesn't happen all the time.

Apparently it does go away with time.  I agree with Andy, my bum foot looks like an alien's foot sometimes...charming  smile

Speedy recovery to all.

Deb

• Posted

Hi Zeldas, it is me again. I went to the physiotherapist yesterday and my ankle was very swollen. The rest of my foot was not. He said this is quite normal. Also, your foot turning different shades of red may be an indication of good blood flow(in my opinion). Have a good day!
    • Posted

Thanks Ann....this is reassuring, I go to my physio on Tuesday so I can also see what she says. 
  • Posted

Hi Zelda, I’m 13 weeks & my foot is bright red when it’s down. It doesn’t hurt when it’s down anymore but it doesn’t look very pretty. My feel also look like they’re two different sizes. I’m sure it’s because of the swelling but it dies look funny. 

• Posted

Hi Barb! My feet are two different sizes too! Believe it or not, the most comfortable shoes for me are sandals as they accommodate both my feet; the fasteners can be adjusted. I tried on my runners and they weren't comfortable at all. It might be time to get some good walking shoes, but my swollen foot won't fit into my regular size. So, I don't know what the heck I am going to do, as the swelling goes on for awhile.Possibly I could wear the walking shoe on one foot and the sandal on the swollen one. I never expected to have problems like this! Have a speedy recovery Barb! My daughter's name is Barb too.

• Posted

Hi Ann, I have New Balance sneakers wide width but I went from an 8 to a 9 & they feel great. I don’t have the luxury of sandals as I live in Canada & it’s starting to be to cold for them. 

• Posted

Hi Barb! I am Canadian too and live in a small community called Port Hardy. It is on Vancouver Island.

My sandals are the only footwear I have that fits. They are good quality ones with some arch support. There aren't too many stores up here, but there is one that might sell good shoes.

I am still finding it hard to walk any distance and I don't have a car.

There is a bus stop fairly close to my home and I am trying to convince myself to give it a try and see how it goes.

It is raining buckets here,but that is to be expected as I live in a rain forest.

I am managing to do some housework now although reluctantly. I broke my ankle 3 months ago, wearing a cast for 8 of those weeks. During the 8 weeks, I only ate and bathed. The rest of the time I sat or slept. It was a big project to clean the bathroom; I felt like procrastinating more today.  However, I am taking baby steps. I think the more I do, the more I will want to do. You have a good day Barb, I hope you have a speedy recovery!

• Posted

Hi Ann, BC is one province I’ve never been to but it’s on my bucket list. It sounds like you live in a beautiful place. Do you get a lot of snow or mostly rain? The pictures I saw are stunning. It looks like a piece of heaven on earth. I live in the have not province of New Brunswick in a city called Fredericton. We get tons of snow. Almost got buried in it last winter as at one time we had 100 cm. It was awful. 

What brand name are your sandals? Do you have any hardware in your feet? Instead of improving every day I feel like I’m digressing. The pain & stiffness is getting worse. I am so done with this. I just want my life back. I’m sick of crutches & not being able to do much.  Something that would take me ten minutes now takes about thirty or more. 

I feel your pain & I’m rooting for you. I guess we have to keep pushing ourselves a little more each day although some days I feel like not getting out of bed. Take care. 

• Posted

Hi Barb,  I feel the same way you do. This has been a long most unwelcome path in my life. Sometimes I manage to feel positive about things, but this experience is very discouraging. It is comforting to know that I am not alone with my thoughts. It does take great effort for me to get out of bed in the morning. I want to break free of these chains!

It rains quite a bit here in Port Hardy; we very rarely get any snow.

I used to live in Chatham, New Brunswick ages ago. I was just a little girl, but I remember mountains of snow on each side of the road after the the snow plows cleared it. My sister and I got caught in a snow storm once, walking home from ballet class.

The brand name of my sandals is "Earth Spirit" When looking for the brand, I noticed a big crack in the sole; time to get new shoes! I almost wish I could buy a size 8 1/2 for my good foot and a size larger for my injured one. If money were no object, I would buy two pairs of different sizes. 

I don't have any hardware, but was thinking I may have to as the last X-ray showed my bones hadn't quite healed together. The orthopaedic surgeon decided to see if, once the cast was off and the circulation improved, more healing would occur. So, he sent me to a physiotherapist and all I can do is hope for the best! No one said anything about another X-ray. Do you have any hardware? 

I hope you are feeling better about things. It is hard for me to always feel positive and sometimes I don't want to make the effort. Finding friends who have similar experiences in this forum is a positive; that is for sure. Take care Barb!

• Posted

Hi Ann, I do have lots of hardware. They did a double fusion with an arch reconstruction so I have screws on the side of my ankle, a long one up the front of my ankle, a long one on the bottom of my foot that runs the whole length plus a plate with screws on the side of my foot by my Achilles. And I wonder why I have pain?? 

We have to give ourselves pep talks every day & stay positive. I keep saying that I will get better, I will walk again. I keep that vision of walking without pain in front of me. I have to or I might completely lose it. I do have my crying spells but I dust myself off & tell myself tomorrow is a new day & it can only get better. 

I go back to work next Monday so at least I will have my mind occupied. 

Stay strong Ann & encouraged. Tell yourself this is a temporary setback & I will get better. You will not stay that way forever. Take care Ann. 

• Posted

I am 17 weeks post op and my foot and ankle still swells and turns red. The only time it turns a natural color is when it’s elevated. Still walking with a crutch. I started a new job two weeks ago and try to elevate and ice it at lunch.
    • Posted

Hi Teresa! I broke my ankle 3 months ago and was 8 weeks in a cast. The cast has finally been removed! From talking with a doctor, the swelling is normal and can last for awhile. I try to elevate my foot as much as possible. Like you, the only time my foot is a natural colour is when it is elevated. I am partially weight bearing. Sometimes I use two crutches and other times one. Elevating and icing your foot at lunch must make your work day more comfortable. I elevate my foot when I can. I think I am making progress. Being an avid walker, I just want to get outside and walk again! I need to be patient though and not overdo it. My physiotherapist told me to only do what is comfortable. It is therapeutic reading  about the experiences of others in this forum. It is like a support group. I wish for you a speedy recovery Teresa.
    • Posted

Thank you Ann. I wish you a speedy recovery also.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.