Next step in the journey

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am cleared to start walking tomorrow. its been a really long process but i have a few questions...

1. how long did it take for everyone to start walking again? my doc said that if i was able to i could even ditch the crutches and start walking but i feel as if its not that easy..

2.I put partial weight on it today to test it out and got the electric shock/ pins and needles feeling. i know thats normal but how long will it last? i cant imagine walking and feeling that every step.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I ditched my crutches the first day because they were making my arms go numb. I'm curious if everyone's first walking and continuation experience. I made it a point to walk every day and still do. I had pins and needles before I started walking so I'm not sure about that part. I had initial strange feeling a when applying pressure to that foot at first. It went away for me but I know some people still complain of it. I'm careful to follow through with my step as much as possible and not roll off like it feels like I want to. My ankle swelled quite a bit once walked on for the first week and a half and has gotten better. The aircast cryocuff has been such a good end of the day treat. It feels so good after working that ankle. I walk 2-3 miles a day and had started going to the gym as well so I can be in good shape to get back to work, something I really would like to do. He time goes by sort of fast but I think I can probably do it. I'm on my feet a lot so I'm trying to "train" for it smile I should add that my walks initially were most of what I did for the first couple days as the swelling came on quite a bit and I could gradually do more. Now I just have some mild pitting edema around the ankle bones really. I don't have a ton of discoloration anymore. Keep us posted on your progress!

• Posted

I have the same question. I start PWB next week so I've done a few test stands with very light weight. Feels like I'm being electrocuted 😵

• Posted

I ditched the boot per Dr and was told to FWB but I couldn't .  I use the crutches and did about 50% Pwb.  I am using crutches and am about 80% pwb a week later.  I start physical therapy tomorrow.  My gait is getting better.  Hth

• Posted

ive been massaging my foot like crazy trying to rough it up a bit so that when i stand i hope i dont get the electric shock feeling.... i hope it helps. im going to the beach on the 2nd and would really like if i didnt have to use my crutches for the most part. its a crappy feeling. every time i get the "jolt" i take the pressure off my foot. i cant tell if it hurts or if its just uncomfortable lol

• Posted

I thought I had been roughing mine up too but when I stand on it The electric tingling is too much! I'll keep trying. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.