nexuim or omeprazole

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everybody i am 31 years old have barretts ospahgus.

i recently just been for the 24 hour ph manomatry acid test ,but didnt manage to get it down as they wanted to do a test before it where they check my splinter .

so failed it which i am annoyed.

i have been on omepraole for 7 years ,and currently came of them for 1 week before this test and i dont feel bloated since been off them also have more energy . but have constant heartburn since been off them .

ive been currenty reading how bad omeprazole are for you so i am going to ring my doctors and try nexium .

i was justs after some advice on what people think of nexium or any other good ppi,s which dont make you feel terrible

2 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

what happens when you stop meds like omeprazole is rebound reflux, this does settle down if you continue to remain off them, but if you go back onto something else your just masking it.  If you can manage take things like gaviscon in the short term and dont take any more meds, it should settle down in a week or 2, maybe less
    • Posted

thanks for your reply .the hospital said today to go straight back on them or another ppi. if not my Barretts will get worse . but I am u sure what meds to go on as I've been on omeprazole for 7 years and I always feel like feel .I don't no if it could be them .

also so many people are saying how bad they are for you and what they do to your health and stomach .I would like to try another alternative .

• Posted

Why do you hate omeprazole, what did omeprazole do to you. I suppose you were on prilosec wich is omeprazole. There is no evidence that one PPI is better than the other but yes, some patiens have less symptoms on one PPI compared to the other... Try Nexium and see how it goes
    • Posted

hi there I had to stop them for 1 week before I went for my test .which didn't manage to have .

but I always feel fatigue .run down .bloated stomach . bad anxiety .and been told that omeprazole kills the good acid in your stomach there for the food doesn't get broke down properly that can side my bad stomach .

I no medium might be there same .but I just want to try a new tablet see how they are for me .any advice would be great from anyone .

• Posted

I think you must take some PPI meds for Barrett's because as you probably know

Already it can turn to cancer you gave to women weigh

Up all the pros and cons do

The benefits of taking them out weigh the side affects try dine other PPI meds see if you feel better on them like nexium

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.