NHS aftercare for returning girlfriend

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi.

My girlfriend went back home to Spain and whilst there she had an unscheduled operation on her foot. She is set to arrive back on Friday 29 June and will have a whole bunch of stitches in there and will be unable to walk much due to it re-opening.  

The wound is pretty bad and I think will need some medical attention but am not sure how to get it. So I go to AE or just book a GP appointment as it is a decent 10 inch wound with 20+ stitches. It’s swolen and weeps. She is on antibiotics and may need more. 

Any help appreciated. 

Isaac

Any help appreciated. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I'm thinking that maybe traveling while she has a foot that is obviously in a bad way is probably not such a great idea, why is she considering doing this so soon after an op, not even sure the airline will allow her to board with the risk of blood clots, will she be entitled to NHS care? Isn't her health more important than coming back to you

• Posted

Honestly.. If i were her i wouldnt play around with a wound that is in the kind of shape you are explaining. I myself have been through the ringer with my wounds. I broke my Tib.. Fib and Talus on Feb28th. Had my first surgery on March 6th. Came home in a splint and by no fault of my own both of my incisions became infected. One on each side of ankle. I returned to tbe hospital and in a 10 day period i was operated on 4 more times for irrigation and debridement surgeries. Had a wound vac on for about 3 weeks. And was in rehab also for a good month. Between the hospital and rehab it was 6 weeks. Im no longer using the wound vac but i do have a pin coming out the bottom of my foot that my surgeon will not remove until my wounds heal. I have visiting nurse 3 days a week to change my dressings and measure. Non weightbearing still also due to pin. Wounds are healing but its not a process as fast as i thought it would be. 6 weeks of IV antibiotics and now oral antibiotics for the next 5 months. All due to getting an infection. Its not a fun ride at all but im doing it. I hope she heals well. I honestly dont know what you can do for her aside from changing her dressings regularly and figuring out her health insurance and what options she has if any while visiting you. Goodluck.
    • Posted

Maria lives in the uk. Has done for 5 years. 

The operation was to remove a mole on the top of her foot and some skin either side. Wasn’t a deep sigh about operation but it has left a lwngthy wound. 

Walking is an issue as it can open the wound and we’re due to be wed in 9 weeks. (Sept 1st)

I’ll ask her to speak to her doctors about if flying is a good idea at all until it’s more healed. The operation was a 9 days ago.  

Just hope is heals well before then! It’s come at the worst time ever. 

Thanks for the replies people. 

• Posted

The best thing she can do at this point is just relax and try to get that wound healed. Eat right. Etc. She will more than likely be able to walk down the aisle with you in 9 weeks as long as she doesnt push herself and that wound at this point because it will push back. Take all of her antibiotics and make all of her follow up appointments and the moment that something may not look.. Feel or smell right get it looked at right away. Best of luck amd congrats on the wedding.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.