NHS cataract surgery - my positive outcome.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Having glaucoma and high myopia [-13.5] I understood the risk of complications. And that’s what I got with my left eye. A posterior capsule tear left retained lens fragments and a loss of vitreous humour. And the following day very high eye pressure caused temporary blindness. Emergency treatment improved things and a vitrectomy completely removed all the fragments and unwanted vitreous humour. Shortly afterwards I had wonderful distance vision. The right eye surgery went perfectly and I returned home with clear vision.

Between operations I had to cope with poor vision in my right eye. But I just put up with it. My one good eye gave me better vision compared with what I was experiencing prior to surgery.

Off the shelf reading glasses are providing excellent close up vision.

I am very happy with my NHS treatment despite the complications. They were rapidly and satisfactorily dealt with.

And like countless others I now enjoy wonderful distance vision without glasses which I had worn for nearly 70 years.

Happy new year everyone!

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Great news - indeed a Happy New Year! Congrats on your positive outcome.
  • Posted

Hello. I am very glad with how things progressed with your operation. My dad just had his gloucauma and cataract operation in his left eye but he still can’t see with it. I was wondering if just before the operation you suffered from acute high eye pressure or you just made the operation because your doctor advised you? I am worried that dad might have left his eye to a prolonged high pressure that impaired his vision and the operation wasn’t able to recover. Any views? Thank you
    • Posted

Before surgery my eye pressure was within the normal range. The sudden increase the day after was just one of the complications I experienced following the capsule rupture.
    • Posted

Thank you very much for the prompt reply. I also suspect that my dad’s condition wasn’t the normal one; hence the unfavorable complications. We are still following through with his doctor hopefully a positive result would happen. But I needed to check with you having been through a similar experience. Thank you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.