NHS Hospitals in the UK offering 3T MRI scans

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi,

Is it feasible to start a thread where patients list what type of MRI scanners (2T or 3T) have been used as part of their treatment in which town in UK NHS hospitals.  I found it very difficult/almost impossible to find anywhere near me that uses at 3T MRI scanner and maybe a list would help other patients find one near them ?

Threads on this forum suggest a 2T scanner can miss what a 3T scanner does not.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

What exactly are you looking for? My understanding is that urologists only use 3T MRI's for prostate cancer and not for a normal urological workup. The exception is a newer procedure called FLA, but that is done by IR's, not urologists.

Jim

• Posted

I actually don't know what kind they used for MRI in my case but I can ask my urologist when i meet him next time and also can find out about FLA. Who are these IR can you please explain so that I understand what you mean.

• Posted

I think Jimjames is correct; 3T MRI scanners are used to look for signs of prostate cancer, I had mine done at my own expense in London.
  • Posted

Thanks for your reply Barry. I am going to ask my Urologist about that. 
  • Posted

My urologist in Watford suggested I have a biopsy and 3T MRI. The MRI was carried out at a nearby Shire private hospital, but all done on NHS.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.