NHS v Private

Posted , 4 users are following.

Surgery for Nissen Fundoplication booked for October 7th. We decided to go privately as the NHS couldnt do my op until at least Marh 2017!!!.

'Im just very glad we can afford to go private as I would have struggled to wait another 6 months. I am deteriorating rather fast  now.

It will be good to get my life back.....

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Best wishes.

Trouble is, fundoplication surgery isn't classed as "emergency" or "essential" but "elective" so it's always at the bottom of th elist & long referral times.

• Posted

Sorry i only just logged on what has been going on with you i may nees to to get surgery privatly would like to know more
    • Posted

I have a 4cm sliding Hiatus Hernia, really bad reflux and Barretts... Have been struggling for years but had to go through the system of drug trial and tests....
  • Posted

Hi Hillary,

Best wishes to you for your op.

I will be 15 weeks after mine tomorrow.

I'm feeling a lot better now, eating isn't too much of a problem.

I still have a little bit of phlegm but don't feel any burning as before, no ppi taken since a couple of hours before op.

I had a 2cm HH with very bad reflux taking ppi for over 12 years and suffered for most of my life..

Margaret x

• Posted

Your posts have always been so encouraging. I will do a write up of my experiences and hope to encourage others to go ahead with the surgery.

Im looking forward to being able to live a normal life and eat properly again.

It will be a long haul because of my Fibromyalgia but its a small price to pay.

Hx

• Posted

Hi Hillary,

I'm kind of lucky in a way ad I have no other health problems apart from a bad back so I could concentrate 100% on getting better.

From teenage years I drank so much bicarbonate soda to ease the burning, then after trying Lan- Pan & omeprazole of which I was on for over 10 years then Nexium for a year it feels strange at night not taking pills and loading up with gaviscon before bed, also laying down to sleep took a bit of getting used to, I did have to sit up tho the first couple of weeks after op as I was sore.

I hope you are as lucky with recovery as I have been, yes it will be a long haul but slowly getting there.

I look forward to hearing how you get on.

Remember harras them for anti sickness meds like I did after op it makes it a bit easier when you wake up. They put it in with the anesthesia as they were knocking me out.

Margaret x

• Posted

Thanks for the heads up re anti sickness drugs.

I hope your recovery remains good 

Hx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.