NHS waiting times.

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have had numbness mainly in my left foot along with back pain for about a year that is making me unable to walk unaided.

After seeing a podiatrist, an orthopedic consultant  and a neurologist I was referred to a neuro surgeon in early October. I had an acknowledgement from them in mid-November saying that if I had not heard from them again in six weeks to contact them.

At that point I decided to see one privately but left myself on the NHS list in case the cost gets out of hand.

Today I phoned NHS appointments and was told that there are two waiting lists and that I am on each of them. I could not be explained why they have two lists but I am No 67 on one and 811 (yes 811) on the other and that the minimum waiting time is 35 weeks and I have only been on the list for nine weeks and four days.

It was earlier a six month wait to the neurologist.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Wow!  Can't help you I'm afraid, but just wanted to commiserate.  Glad I live in Germany - maximum 3 days wait for Doctor, up to two months for Rheumatologist.  X-rays - just go to local hospital A&E and wait (up to an hour).  

Don't think we'll be returning to England in a hurry.  Especially as we are, respectively, 76 and 80.

• Posted

Todays problem, my neurosurgeon referred me for a private MRI scan at my local hospital and he contacted cardiology there for them to turn of my MRI compatible pacemaker for the procedure. Today I'm told that the Boston Scientific  pacemaker that they fitted in July is not compatible with their MRI scanner and that I will have to travel to the next town to get it done.  
    • Posted

Oh dear - you are going through it.

I've just received a phone call from my doctor.  He's had the results of my Dexascan, I now have PMR, Osteoarthritis, Gout and, new, Osteoporosis!!!  The joys of getting old.  Still, I've reached 76 and am alive.😃

I wish you all the best for the future.  Take care.

Regards from Constance

• Posted

I never give up and never believe what I'm told. I checked the Boston Scientific site and found that my pacemaker is compatible with all MRI scanners. I then phoned the pacemaker clinic who said there is no reason for it not to be but that he will double check and get back to me. He thinks it is that the imaging department are more used to older models.

Sorry to hear of yet another diagnosis for you today. Two aunts long ago told me that their problems all started at 80. They were right ! and I will be 82 this year.

• Posted

Now getting the MRI at another hospital on February 5th and they are amazed that my local hospital with the same scanner would not do it.

It would probably be cheaper to fly to Germant to get it done:-)

• Posted

Hi Derek!  At least you will at last have the MRI.  Perhaps it WOULD be cheaper to fly to Germany, but don't really think so - flight, hotels, and think of the BOTHER!!  (I know it was only frustration talk)!!

Good luck anyway.  Hope everything turns out OK for you.

• Posted

When I told my GP of the NHS waiting time for an initial appointment he sadly shook his head and said "It's all wrong, you are supposed to be seen and treated within 18 weeks" When I once said that to a cardiologist he said that ruling has been suspended at the moment. Indeed it was 54 weeks from diagnosis of aortic stemosis to getting my aourtic valve replaced. A friend in America was diagnosed and operated on in three weks.
    • Posted

Of course, when you read things like this it makes you think going abroad for treatment isn't such a bad thing after all. You could just look at it as an extended holiday.😄
    • Posted

We can actually ask to be treated abroad if a treatment is not available here or if waiting times are too long IF your Area Health Authority agrees.. Same applies to other areas of the country. When I lived in Scotland in 2005 I managed to get referred to an English hospital for laser surgery for my enlarged prostate as no Scottish hospital did it. It was a long fight.

At the moment patients in South East England are being offered treatment in a Calais hospital if you pay your own travel expenses.   

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.