NICE clinical guideline

Posted , 11 users are following.

The National Institute for Health and Care Excellence in the UK is now in the process of developing a clinical guideline on diverticular disease. It is intended to assist patients and clinicians when making decisions about treatment, diet and other methods of alleviating symptoms. I am one of the two lay members of the guideline committee and would be interested in the views of patients on how they have managed their own symptoms and what advice they would give to other sufferers. This seems to be a useful forum and I'll be reading it regularly.

More detail can be seen at: https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/gid-ng10064/documents/final-scope

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

This is part of a post I made earlier.  Interesting now that some research seems to think high fibre diets may also be responsible.  Seems like getting the right balance is the key.  I've heard of some sufferers being told to eat more fibre, so they've had a large bowl of All Bran which is so rough it has irritated the bowel.  Also some told to eat anything and they've promptly had a burger with all the trimmings and also suffered!  Moderation in all things.

This is a medical article I found.

What causes diverticulosis and diverticulitis?

Experts are not sure what causes diverticulosis and diverticulitis. Researchers are studying several factors that may play a role in causing these conditions.

Fiber

For more than 50 years, experts thought that following a low-fiber diet led to diverticulosis. However, recent research has found that a low-fiber diet may not play a role. This study also found that a high-fiber diet with more frequent bowel movements may be linked with a greater chance of having diverticulosis.

Genes

Some studies suggest that genes may make some people more likely to develop diverticulosis and diverticulitis. Experts are still studying the role genes play in causing these conditions.

Other factors

Studies have found links between diverticular disease—diverticulosis that causes symptoms or problems such as diverticular bleeding or diverticulitis—and the following factors:

certain medicines—including nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), such as aspirin , and steroids

lack of exercise

obesity

smoking

Diverticulitis may begin when bacteria or stool get caught in a pouch in your colon. A decrease in healthy bacteria and an increase in disease-causing bacteria in your colon may also lead to diverticulitis.

A second article

Your gut (intestine) moves stools (faeces) along with gentle squeezes of its muscular wall. The stools tend to be drier, smaller, and more difficult to move along if you don't eat much fibre. Your gut muscles have to work harder if there is too little fibre in your gut. High pressure may develop in parts of your gut when it squeezes hard stools. The increased pressure may push the inner lining of a small area of your gut through the muscle wall to form a small diverticulum. 

I would add to that.  I've had high blood pressure since my early 20's - genetic not weight related, as over half my family had it.  Also I didn't chew my food properly.  However I've always drunk plenty of water and followed a mainly vegetable diet - I eat a little fish and poultry but rarely red meat.  We always had meals cooked from scratch - little processed food.So my conclusion is that there are multiple factors:  lack of fibre certainly in some cases, as nations with a high fibre, no processed food, do not have the same level of incidence, but also other predispositions.  I am from the post war generation where the diet was mostly vegetables, no junk food. 

• Posted

just out of curiosity,,,, do you suffer from D.D ????  If Not, there is no way you could start to understand the pain that lots of us go through, with NO WORDS to describe it. you are rather patronising about us . Suggest you scrawl through all the D.D forums ,and find out for yourself .
    • Posted

Jacqueline, please let me know what words I used that struck you as patronising.  I did mention that at the age of 60 I was diagnosed with severe diverticulitis.  I have had part of my colon removed as a result. It may be true that I've suffered less pain than some sufferers of DD, so I'm very interested to learn more about the types of pain people have, how disabling it has been and how much help if any they got from the mainstream medical profession.

• Posted

Hello Jon,,, I owe you an enormous apology. for either misreading or misunderstanding your post ,I tend to read headlines as they appear, and your new entry was to me... a new D.D sufferer,  Which did, strike a chord, that I had searched long and hard for help and reasons why this sodding situation had picked on me,,and,, I will confess that I have been chosen to be given SCIATICA, a pain worse than a DD flare

I digress,,,, on seeing your request for all information on D.D I just thought ""LAZY SOD" he just wants to sit and wait for everyone's findings handed to him on a plate

interestingly   .I get no help from anyone.so I take care of it myself. 

so ,,, Jon,,, now you know..the reason behind my calling you patronising. .A BAD HAIR DAY rolleyes

• Posted

Hi Jacqueline.  Apology accepted, no hard feelings here. I'm getting sciatica too.  I blame myself for that because I don't take care of my posture and don't do the exercises the physio told me to do,  but that's one of my new year resolutions. smile

• Posted

So,,, we can start again  I am beating the Sciatica, with alternative products ,my posture is that of a ram rod, so it can't be that  ..I tend to think that making my body do exercises that it has never done before .can start something else.  Pity we don't have a window on the front of our abdomen, so we could see ,rather than guess what's going on . Wouldn't that be fun ,,,,eek  

• Posted

Mine seems to be a slightly different type of DD and may be useful to the studies. I was diagnosed in September last year after eight months of persistent yet not severe pain in the left lower quadrant. It has now lessened but still occurs some days and I cannot identify any particular food triggers. I do not get diarrhoea or constipation though it did start last March with what seemed to be a stomach upset for a few days. I do not drink much alcohol (two glasses of wine at the weekend) and don’t smoke. I am not overweight. I feel very fortunate that I have not experienced any severe attacks. I was advised to eat fibre to prevent constipation, unless I have an attack at which time I should eat a low fibre diet. I was not advised to keep away from any foods in particular, unless, of course, I identify any food that triggers the pain. 
    • Posted

Hi Alison. I'm interested to know how you were diagnosed. DId they do a CT scan, as they did with me?

I think the main advice given by the medical profession is to avoid constipation. I've never really had constipation so I didn't find that advice very useful!  Identifying food that triggers the pain is a haphazard process, which is frustrating. I also have acid reflux which perhaps complicates the picture.

• Posted

On a few previous CT scans taken as follow up for lymphoma, some diverticula did show up. When I started getting this pain last year, I was sent for several tests, including a sigmoidoscopy which was only partially successful. However, from that and another CT scan, the diagnosis of DD was made. 

Funnily enough, the previous year I experienced a lot of heartburn and periodic epigastric pain. I get heartburn very rarely now. 

• Posted

Like many of the other posters, I was diagnosed, then basically left to get on with things myself.  Managing this AND arthritis is a bit of a struggle, but I've found myself basically eating a bland but nutritious (yuck!) diet, have switched from a traditional 3 meals a day to basically eating small snack-like meals when I'm hungry,and have had to cut out a lot of fruit and veg, as they only seem to upset my bowels. I've had to do the same with a lot of those 'healthy roughage' kinds of food, as they seem to make things work.  Drink lots of water.  Cry about the lack of fiery chili and curry in my diet.

• Posted

It is hard coping with arthritis and DD because I find a lot of pain relief tablets upset my bowel 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.