Nice to know I’m not crazy with extreme fatigue after 2 major reconstructive spinal surgeries.

Posted , 3 users are following.

i had 20 screws put in my spine in June of 2017, was unable to finish due to low blood pressure, and loss of blood.  A redo in August.  Two transfusions I ended up with 24 screws, 10” rods, and a 14” incision cut twice in two months.  I get up great, but in two hours I could go right to sleep.  My heart feels like it wants to beat out of my chest should I walk anywhere over  1/2 of a block.  Sweat profusely though I am in menopause which I’m sure doesny help.  T-6 to L-3, that just helped the Scolosis.  I also had to be realigned for severs Lordosis AND kyphosis.  I have not even made it to the point of PT yet, but I am so looking forward to it.  Dr says it could take up to 3 years for a recoup.  I wear a back brace from the minute I get out of the bed until I lay flat.  Just WANT SOME ENERGY.  GAINED 50 lbs in the past year, been in this brace 8 months and have 2-4 months left.  Lord, give me strength to glorify your name.  I just so need some energy...and compassion on who are going through what I am.  It gets depressing to. 

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I was same but had hibernated docs done I went veggie.. off pain killers now 2 years done line I do stretching and walk as much as I can I had balance probs a lot better now hope you can get some ideas on this sight I found it helpful we are all diff tho hope you can get something from this take it slow
    • Posted

I found your balance issues humorous.  I find myself walking into walls, door jams, anything next to me.  I keep bruises.  So, you just started eating nothing but vegetables?  I have to think that some of this dreaded medicine is effecting me also in a super negative way.  They changed my meds from oxycodone to Norco and after a week I am in excruciating pain and my stomach aches.  Not to mention I have gotten very short tempered and that’s not me. 
    • Posted

Oxycodone (Percocet, Oxycontin) and Norco (like Vicodin; the generic name is hydrocodone) have the same painkilling power per similar dose.  The generic drug is the pure medication; the brand names mix it with acetaminophen.  Hence a dose of 5/325 is 5 mg of the painkiller and 325 mg of Tylenol.

The only difference between the two is that the hydrocodone frequently causes way more constipation than the oxycodone.  Start a stool softener and/or Miralax IMMEDIATELY!!!

These opioids cause all sorts of issues, some of which you mentioned.  Hell, at two months I was still sleeping half a day and drooling on my pajamas. It's not unusual but, remember, it's only for a very short time.  You doc can adjust the med, dosage and timing.  Find what's right for you.

For Chris...  IMO, it's not the time to eat just veggies.  Your body needs energy to heal...and that takes protein.  You need to eat a balanced diet so the energy is there.  My daughter is a graduate nutritionist from Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, and had me eating very well throughout my recovery.  Consider it...

• Posted

They are wanting to refer me to pain management.  Now....I say this because I DO NOT LIKE TAKING THESE DREADED PILLS.....but, I know the difference between pain and being able to push through.  I was born with a hemivertebra and they told me when I was 17 I would be in a wheelchair by 30.  With that said, years later about 35 someone rear ended me and alas, another Neurologist says.....yea, you will prob be in a wheelchair by 40.  So, after riding jet skis hard all summer before and helping husband with business (pushing heavy Ski trailers, flat tired ATVs etc....) I guess my back finally gave way.  I can honestly say I had no clue how much pain all of this would cause and how chronic pain causes so much stress. I do not like the person I have become.  Having to feel vaunerable and rely on others has been a HUGE curve.  I have started a strict regime that tracks sat. Fats, calories, sodium, fat, and added sugars.  I’m not backing off of my water and well...you helped me to realize...I know my body more than those around me and I should listen to what my body tells me.  Not what somebody else “thinks” I should feel and at MY pace.  THANKS
    • Posted

I played hockey for more than 45 years.  Then...30 operations requiring general anesthesia in the past 18.  Lots of minor crap (trigger fingers, carpal tunnel, etc.), but I have a metal hip, a metal knee, two spine laminectomies and two spine fusions.  That's about 4 1/2-pounds of metal in my body!!!!  I am thankful for the medical technology and the skills of some of the best docs on the planet who have kept me on my feet and moving at age 70...and I still work full-time in IT with 47-years of experience in the field.  

All of this while caring 24 x 7 for my wife who had brain aneurysm surgery and two TIA strokes almost 8 years ago.  The strokes killed nerves in her right leg so she's been falling for years...caused her to rip her left rotator cuff in half twice in six months.  Her depression was so bad last fall that she needed electroshock therapy to literally save her sanity and life.  But she's mine forever...and she's better now than at any time since the surgery.

We all have our challenges...for whatever reason.  The point is that we never, ever give up and we always walk in light, never in shadow.  Embrace your Karma...be the best you can be regardless of pain and limitations.  You are worth way more than that.  Never forget that our spirit is everything...these bodies are only temporary.  Take the light inside you and shine it for all around you to see.  Show your strength and courage, not your anger and disappointment.  Let go of all the crap and live the life The Universe bestowed on you.  

"Never give up!  Never surrender!" - Tim Allen, Galaxy Quest

• Posted

Keep encouraging because you are truly helping others as if you don’t already know.  I will certainly be saying prayers for you guys.  This little light of mine, I’m going to let it shine!  Your right.  It’s hard to stay motivated when you feel like you have been put on a timetable by another person.  Garbage in garbage out.  Which reminds me, back to 2 Peter, I did not read today!!  Thanks again for the positivity and motivation much needed. 
  • Posted

I know.  I'm a month out from my latest of four spine surgeries in the past five years (two decompressive laminectomies, one TLIF rails/screws fusion L3 through S1 and one LLIF lateral fusion L2-L3) and I'm sleeping more than I thought I be.  Stupid me.  If the body needs to rest, you let it rest.  There are no timetables!!!  Geez...

• Posted

I’m trying.  Trying to realize I cannot do everything, We Run our own business and it’s very hard to try and help run the business and rest/recuperate/be absent all at the same time. 
    • Posted

Find a way to help in the business without the exhaustion.  Work a few hours...take a nap.  Be innovative.  You cannot do what you did before just yet.  It takes time.  Thinking you can go full bore while recovering will only lead you to The Dark Side.  Yes, they have great cookies over there but you don't want to go down that path.  Find a way to make this work.  Remember...it's only temporary!!!

• Posted

HEY.....thank you so much, I really appreciate the “Ive been there and totally get it”.  That is exactly what I’m doing to, thinking I can go full blast, only thinking I’m taking a step forward to taking two steps backwards.  Your right, it’s temporary, but seems like forever.  
    • Posted

The time will pass quickly enough.  Get through it with style and grace...and strength.  I'm 2 years post-op on the TKR.  On a day to day basis, it's like it never happened.  Let go of your expectations and timelines.  Just live each day with joy as you meet your challenges, knowing you will always win in the end.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.