Nicked liver.

Posted , 4 users are following.

i don't think I've mentioned this in previous posts. During my open surgery for gb removal, the surgeon had to detach it from my liver as it had adhered over the years. He apparently nicked the liver and a liver person was called in to have a look. He put on some sort of glue and I was told that all was ok. The only thing I can find is something called Bioglue? I was about 6 to 7 hours before returning to the ward. I'm guessing some of the time was waiting for the liver person and the time to seal the nick, plus maybe more recovery time. Very worrying for those at home waiting for news! Any info about this glue and is it common for the gb to stick to the liver? Just curious...

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi, John,

Sorry this happened to you!  I don't know about the glue, perhaps you'll get a response from another who knows.  

But I do know that when an organ is diseased, it can adhere to another.  

Best of luck to you, and I hope that your recovery goes smoothly and that you feel lots better.

• Posted

Don't know about that, but it's common for an incision to be glued. Also, even when large amounts of liver are removed, it only takes a few weeks for the liver to regenerate so I wouldn't think any permanent damage will have been done. Maybe avoid alcohol for a while as a precaution?

Hope you continue to do well

• Posted

Thanks again. I'll add it to my list of questions for my follow up appt next month. I don't drink alcohol now, but very good advice. Hoping you are ok also, you are very helpful on this forum. 🤗

• Posted

Like you, and a couple of others who post regularly, just want to help other sufferers where I can. I've had some good advice and support from people on this forum.

• Posted

Saw the registrar today and all seems ok. I can start the fibre supplement again, do light gardening but don't lift anything heavy for another two months or so. He said that you lose about 30% of your muscle strength after surgery. He must mean the ones which were cut! I can eat anything I want as well. A big portion of fish and chips to celebrate and a lie down this afternoon. 

• Posted

Hi John,

Great news!  Glad you're doing so well.  Keep up the good work.  Actually, he meant all your muscles, not just the ones which were cut.  Inactivity is what does it, mostly.  If you research it on line, it's quite interesting.  

So, start slowly, and work consistently on regaining your strength.  Best to you.

• Posted

And it's now 60 days since surgery. The staples are all out and the collection of stones are in a bottle by the front door for all to inspect. And yes, some people find them fascinating. Most don't. The wound is looking healthy. There is a swelling above the scar which I am told is not a hernia and just get used to it. I think it's fat. It's not painful, in fact there is no pain anywhere. I am still careful about lifting etc and have to be for a while yet. The scar is about 20 cm long. So, all good. I'll have blood tests next week to check that liver etc is back to normal. Thanks to all and good health! 

• Posted

As I came round from the anaesthetic following open cholecystectomy, the female surgeon appeared excitedly waving a jar of my stones. I told her to throw them away: they'd caused me so much pain, I was glad to see the back of them!!!

• Posted

Quite right too! They even said I could keep my gallbladder, but I declined that offer. Off to get blood tests soon. Get it done! A nurse at my Dr's surgery will ring with the results, which include a regular CEA test because of the bowel cancer op 45 months ago. So, a slightly nervous day coming up. 

• Posted

oh I am hoping I can keep mine, fascinated by things like that smile
    • Posted

Ask! I mean, it is your property! I was tempted to keep the gallbladder as well as the stones, but gave in to pressure. Best wishes. 
    • Posted

Thanks. All ok. Quick result, the first ​ones about 4 hours after the blood was taken and the rest 3 hours after that. A happy weekend coming up! 
    • Posted

I think it depends on the hospital as some have tried to keep theirs but they were classed as clinical waste and told no! I am going to ask and see smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.