Nicotine Cessation and Adhesive Capsulitis

Posted , 4 users are following.

This thread is likely to be only anecdotal, but I was wondering if any frozen shoulder sufferers out there were former nicotine users? I ask because I actually quit after seventeen years in April of 2016 and soon after I developed all sorts of illnesses, including two frozen shoulders.

Anyone else coincidentally quit in the months prior to their shoulders freezing? I doubt it, but I thought I'd ask.  

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi im a woman of 48 and currently suffering with frozen shoulder. Ive never smoked. It does seem to be more women in the 40s group that gets this damn thing. Ive had it 6 months now and its driving me crazy
  • Posted

I did!! I quit in May of 2017 after years of smoking (I’m 60). Soon after I threw my back out for no apparent reason.  I then got the frozen shoulder which was brutal. After seeing 3 orthopedics, neurologist, acupuncturist, 2 emergency room visits, I lost hope. I made an appointment with my nurse practitioner to go on an anti depressant because this was ruining my life. She put me on cymbalta which also works on pain. It has truly been my miracle drug. I’ve been on this since February of 2018 and I’m pain free. I also have almost all my ROM back. I also did 2 rounds of PT to no avail. I do find it rather odd that, after quitting smoking after almost 40 years, that my health basically deteriorated. I’m still smoke free but always wonder why such terrible things happened after I quit. I’m a very active 60 year old who is physically fit and I go to the gym 5 times a week. Go figure.
  • Posted

I contacted Dr. Lynn Kozlowski, a professor at the University of Buffalo who is an expert on nicotine and tobacco use. He told me no medical literature supports me restarting my nicotine habit (which was thru the use of Swedish snus, not smoking). He encouraged me to talk to a physician if I wanted to pursue the matter further. He also said that to his knowledge there has never been any link between nicotine cessation and frozen shoulder, and that numerous frozen shoulder patients were never nicotine users.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.