Night

Posted , 6 users are following.

Just wondering if anyone else has an issue with sweating in the night on sertraline? I don't sweat in the day, but often wake up around 2am and have to change my t-shirt, it's not nice and happens even on cold frosty nights and I have window open! I am on 100mg and have been for about 4-5 weeks.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I too have been expericing night sweats and wake up and my clothes are drenched. I wasn't sure if it was from the sertraline or if it was something else because I've been on it for a year now. 
    • Posted

I don't know for sure if it's the sertaline or not but read it can cause sweating, but I didn't seem to experience it when on 50mg. Not sure, maybe it's something else but its annoying!
  • Posted

Hi. I have just gone back on Sertraline 50mg for the third time and although I have only been taking it for a short time this time, I have already noticed the night sweats coming back. 

I am 100% certain it is a side effect from the drug, and I will be discussing the option of changing meds with my GP on Monday. 

I wake at about 3 in the morn, completely soaked and I found I have become very dehydrated. It's very frustrating because I find the drug very effective at combating my depression

I'll let you know what my GP suggests. 

• Posted

Thanks Katharine, yes wonder what GP will suggest, if anything. Still, I would rather have night sweats than feel anxious and depressed all the time. It's annoying and unpleasant though. I could understand in the summer, but it happens on cold wintry nights too!
  • Posted

yes i get hot sweats also at night, and i'm on 150mg - it's even worse when i'm on my time of the month !! :-)

• Posted

Hi Ginemac! Do you find 150mg much better and more effective than 100mg? I am not sure if I should move up as still get a bit of anxiety, well more worry about what may happen etc, then when it doesnt happen I am fine and relieved, but this doesnt seem to alleviate worry for next time, if that makes sense!
    • Posted

yes, most definately, everything is different now, for the better i mean. how long have you been on the 100mg ??

• Posted

I started on 100mg on October 5th, so it's just been slightly over one month. It has helped a bit yes, BUT I still worry about anxiety. I feel okay once I am in a situation that I may have feared, but this doesnt stop me fearing it the next time, it's like I don't 'learn', I still worry I will be anxious. But it has lessened, not as bad as it was. Not sure if 150mg would make a difference, and if I am likely to get side effects with that dose - isn't 150mg quite high?
  • Posted

Hi Jane, I'm on 100mg of sertraline and I get the sweating. It starts evening time before I go to sleep and I wake up hot and drenched with sweat during the night. I'm of an age that I'm also going through the menopause without HRT and I think it has increased my hot flushes. I hope this subsides when my body adjusts to the higher dose as I'm on my third week at 100mg increased from 50mg. I know I had similar side effects on lower dose but seemed to reduce at around 8 weeks. Hope this is helpful x
    • Posted

you're sweats will calm down soon, if you're 3 weeks in on 100mg, maybe 6-8 weeks you might see some improvement with that, but yes it could be the menopause affecting you also :-)

• Posted

Hi Jane, yes I think they will because I had the same with 50mg for around 6-8 weeks. Cheers ☺️
  • Posted

yes i am the same, only on 50mg, even having real sweats during the day, got a doctors appointment today, only been on them for 16 days but i want to stop

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.