Night cramping in legs and feet

Posted , 5 users are following.

The neuropathy in my legs and feet is definitely getting worse, but in particular I have noticed the cramping in my feet and legs at night has increased tremendously.

Does anyone know of anything that helps with this?  I don't think the old remedy of quinine tablets is recommended anymore.

Many thanks.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I have to get up and have a walk round. It's the only thing that stops mine. Doctor gave me vitamin D and calcium tablets combined for cramp in my toes and calves. I think they may have helped if only a little.

• Posted

You could try quinine tablets or tonic water which has quinine in it; it helps my dad’s leg cramps.
  • Posted

I have the same problem.I manage it most of the time by taking  40mg of amitriptyline

and two co-codamol 8/500mg.

keeping the legs warm and wearing bed socks can help. If I overdo the walking and standing during the day I suffer during the night.

• Posted

Thanks so much for your replies.

I do take a vitamin D tablet daily and quite regularly take magnesium, but it doesn't help that much.

The neuropathy has worsened over the past few weeks, both feet feel so strange with burning sensations and like there are stones under my toes.  Seems to have spread to my hands and even the back of my head.

I am also hypothyroid and my medication has been changed recently, so I wonder if this could be having an impact.

It is so disheartening when the neurologist says it is idiopathic and hasn't got a clue what is causing it and, more importantly, cannot fix it.

• Posted

Some types of neuropathy cannot be fixed.  Mine was caused by injury is not curable.   Medications can cause it too, so I would see your doctor again and ask if a change in your your thyroid meds may have triggered the neuropathy.  If these symptoms came on after your medication change, this is significant.
    • Posted

The neuropathy actually started in my right foot about 5 years ago and has progressively got worse.

However, perhaps this recent change has upset the balance.

• Posted

Your doctor should be able to confirm this.  My neuropathy is better just now because warm spring weather has finally come  at least to the far south east of the UK.  In my home country of Scotland though, it is still winter and the trees are still bare.
  • Posted

Warm weather certainly plays a part.I had two weeks in Lanzarote where it was very warm and had no pain the whole time. Unfortunately we can,t always do that.
  • Posted

Hi I have neuropathy in both feet & legs and there are times it’s hard to walk it feels like walking on rocks and other times it feels like walking on razor blades . I get the pins and needles in my feet and burning I take gapabentine 300 mg 3 cap 3 x day it helps some but I went to Walmart and found  they sell the copper fit  socks  , knee sleeves,   Compression ankle brace , compressionsock. I bought the compression socks and have been putting them on when my feet hurt it helps some and I wear them to bed at night and it helps so maybe you can try getting a pair and see if they could help you with your feet and legs , This neuropathy crap really sucks it’s crazy how you toes are numb but you can feel the burning and electric shocks 

• Posted

Thanks for your reply.  I wonder if they sell anything like that in the UK - I am assuming you are in the US?

Neuropathy does indeed really suck - such strange feelings in the feet and legs and also sometimes my feet feel icy cold, but they are warm to touch - really weird.  I suppose it is the brain playing tricks on us, but it is hard to ignore when it causes such pain.

• Posted

Yes I am in the us I would think if there were Walmart in the uk that they would carry them they are in the sporting good department . And yes I do get Ice cold feet the only way I can tell is by touching my foot with my hand I have to put on warm socks  🧦 

• Posted

Well we don,t have Walmart here.I will look up on line for compression aids

Thank you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.