Night Issue

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi everyone,

It is a day 38 after the Rezume procedure, I still get up 4-5 times a night to bathroom with tiny amount, or drop of urination, in day time I have normal stream. I just wonder someone has the same experienced.

Thank You

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

If your stream is normal during the day, you can rule out the prostate as an issue. They don't grow and contract over a period of hours - so the Rezum worked. There is a condition called nocturia (I think that's the name) where your brain signals that you have to go when you don't. Its quite possible that your brain is still sending those signals - there are exercises to retrain it. Ask your urologist about it. Overactive bladder is also a possibility, but you sound like a classic case of nocturia.

• Posted

If I understand Tanak's post I respectfully disagree OB. If his flow is good during the day but is dropping off at night something could be affecting the prostate. Dietary? Also I seem to recall that when in deep sleep, a chemical is released that slows urine production. That chemical is released during REM sleep. If you have sleep apnea you do not enter REM sleep so the chemical is never produced

• Posted

Uncklefester - I think that's untrue. According to my urologist, prostates don't shrink and grow by day and night. An irritation (anything from a UTI to a rough bike ride) can temporarily swell it, but if he has a problem at night and not during the day, its almost surely not the prostate. And my uro told me that urine production actually increases during sleep - but whichever is true, Tanak probably has nocturia or overactive bladder or possibly both. 

• Posted

Hi OB, I don't necessarily say it swelling. Maybe the more concentrated urine at night irritates the urinary tract at night causing slow flot. During the day I pee 25ml/sec. At night my flow can vary from good flow to just a trickle. Seems many others on here have the same problem. I asked one of my uros about this he didn't have an answer. 

Taken from a website:

Nocturia, or nocturnal polyuria, is the medical term for excessive urination at night. During sleep time, your body produces less urine that is more concentrated. This means that most people don’t need to wake up during the night to urinate and can sleep uninterrupted for 6 to 8 hours.

Causes of nocturia range from lifestyle choices to medical conditions. Nocturia is more common among older adults, but it can occur at any age.

infection or enlargement of the prostate

bladder prolapse

overactive bladder (OAB)

tumors of the bladder, prostate, or pelvic area

diabetes

anxiety

kidney infection

edema or swelling of the lower legs

obstructive sleep apnea

neurological disorders, such as multiple sclerosis (MS), Parkinson’s disease, or spinal cord compression

• Posted

You can train yourself to ignore the signals your brain is sending over time. Best to check your PVRs first, to make sure that you aren't peeing much due to retention, which you don't want to ignore.

• Posted

I am the same as you, normal during the day but slow at night. I have found that if I take ibufrofen or paracetamol before sleep I don't need to get up nearly so often. I assume this is deadening the sensation to pass urine.

Incidentally what is this rezume procedure?  

• Posted

I haven’t had any procedure yet, but I have the same issue at around 1 or 2 am, slow stream. Fairly normal the rest of the time. I’ve been doing pelvic floor exercises for about 2 months. 
  • Posted

I didn;t have Rezume prodedure but system like yours.What heiped me, switched to dealf coffee, limit liquids 2 hours before bed. I would not eat breakfast for weight control and coffee ran right through me. Eating seamed to slow down urination.  Should pee burn a little when you start your flow?
  • Posted

I Had the same issue with Rezum. My procedure caused a lot of long term problems but Weak nighttime stream resolved itself over time. Unfortunately it took several weeks. Taking ibuprofen before bed seems to help. It’s most likely inflammation causing the constricted flow. Whatever is causing that inflammation in my case I’m still trying to discover. Getting a third opinion next week. 
  • Posted

How long ago did you have the procedure? You can have urgency for up to a year.
  • Posted

I'm scheduled for a Rezum in one month on April 19, 2018.  Here is what my urologist told me: "If you have nocturia before Rezum, there is a chance you'll have it after Rezum."  Maybe others can verify this.  Maybe they fared better.  I just appreciated my urologist's honesty.

• Posted

Here is an irrefutable fact: WE PRODUCE MOST OF OUR URINE ... AT NIGHT.  While chemical metabolism is always in play, when we are supine - at night, asleep in our beds - gravity is less of an issue.  Blood flow therefore makes its way back to the kidneys more easily, thereby stepping up glomerular filtration more easily, thereby producing urine more easily.  Is there a brain-bladder connection?   Yes. (See Uncklefester's list).  If our anti-diuretic hormone (a.k.a. Vasopressin) is out of control, it will affect us, but hormonal imbalance may be only one culpable factor in the brain-bladder connect.  Maybe it's a personal bias, but more than a brain-bladder connection, there may be a prostate-bladder connection.  I just think that if BPH is left unchecked, it will eventually cause bladder issues.  Take my comment for what it's worth.

• Posted

You're correct about that - years of straining often causes bladder issues and undiagnosed retention can too.

• Posted

Not argueing just posting what I've read. Sorry No links because site doesn't allow them. Personal observations. I pee more volume during the day than I do at night. During the day, I reach urgency at ~ 300 ml. At 400ml I peeing and there is no stopping it. At night I feel urgency at 200 ml sometimes even less. Maybe its a mental thing. Volume wise, I pee probably twice as much during the day than at night. 

One other quote from a medical type website

Until recently, nocturia was thought to be caused by a full bladder, but it is also a symptom of  sleep apnea.

Nocturia becomes more common as we age. As we get older, our bodies produce less of an anti-diuretic hormone that enables us to retain fluid. With decreased concentrations of this hormone, we produce more urine at night. Another reason for nocturia among the elderly is that the bladder tends to lose holding capacity as we age. Finally, older people are more likely to suffer from medical problems that may have an effect on the bladder.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.