Night pain!!!

Posted , 9 users are following.

I’m 5 weeks post op, doing really well , but the pain at night is driving me potty. Any ideas out there in forum land.? 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ruth I am 3 weeks on my second knee the first one was 9 months ago. I think night pain is a problem because we haven't anything else to focus our minds on. I have found that ice helps a lot but that means disturbing my husband to go downstairs for some. Other than that I have played around with my medication and leave enough to be able to top up in the middle of the night. I take 2 Tramadol with 2 paracetamol 7.30am and 1pm then drop it to 1+1 at 6pm finally just 2 Tramadol at 10.30pm leaving me 2 paracetamol for the middle of the night. I still wake up several times and adjust pillows under my lower leg etc I must be a real fidget 😬. But this does seem to get me "chunks " of three to four hours to start with and then possibly two to three hours at the next rest. I do find I'm waiting for my morning pain relief though. Of course moving can help but then you waken up more. Failing all this give up and read or watch movies!

hope you find a way through it, it really is a nightmare!

• Posted

You have a really helpful answer already, so not much to add from me.

You could read my knee storý...it's so long its bound to send you off! 😀😁

I found my tablet with relaxing meditation music and comedy a good help at night.

You may like to go to my profile by clicking on the image next to my name. I kept a journal of my own knee replacement journey, and I have been told by several people they found it helpful to read, or skim through. (You may need to copy and paste the link I include in my profile in your browser, as the site does not allow external links to be posted.)

I had a period of several weeks when it was hard to sleep. I put lavender oil on my pillow, and then a bit later on used olabas oil, which helped as I seemed to be a bit congested. I found if got too tired in the day it was harder to sleep. Over tiredness seemed to raise my anxiety level and make it harder to relax. As well as the practical issues of the operated leg I think mentally anything you can do to relax is good. Full lung breathing, as done in yoga, is worth learning if you are not familiar with it already. Lots of you tube videos on that.

• Posted

I'm 4 weeks doing well, also, except also having trouble sleeping.  I think it's that you end up in positions that are painful to the surgery site and have to move around, but of course you have to be careful, you can't just "toss and turn" in bed like usual, at least I have to carefully lift up the covers from around my leg, move a pillow or two around, get the leg in a new place, then adjust the rest of my body and the pillow(s) and coves all around it.  Then try to sleep.  I did have to sleep on the couch for the first two weeks because the sheets and covers we had set up in our bed was just too heavy and "binding" for my surgery site.  On the couch, with a fleece blanket it was easier to kind of rustle around if I needed to.

I agree about the medication and taking whatever you've got at a time to maximize helping you sleep.

• Posted

Pain meds, pillow between the knees and the secret ingredient for a good nights sleep is.......amitriptyline 😋

• Posted

Hi Ruth

I have found  having me electric blanket on all night on night mode helps. Also pain relief just before bed and ice just before bed. 

• Posted

Hi Ruth,

I'm nearly 5 weeks post op too and took Tramadol day and night for the first 2 weeks.  It didn't seem to do much for the pain so I cut it out and tried to manage without pain relief.  After a further 10 nights of dreadful sleep (and despair at the endless pain!) I rang my GP and he prescribed Dihydrocodeine and told me to take 2 x 30mg at night only if I could manage WITHOUT  during the day, which I can.  My life has changed!  I am now sleeping through the night without waking and feel much better during the day as a result.  I know this painkiller won't work for everyone, but I think it's worth trying a few until you find the right one for you.

• Posted

I use a soft pillow under my leg. Icyhot is great also. It does deminish. Mine is not everyday

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.