Night pain after knee arthroscopy operation

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had a knee arthroscopy operation 14 days ago and the swelling is slowly going down and the bruises coming out and am managing reasonably well during the day. I have not however been able to sleep at night because of the excrutiating pain which does not subside much even after taking pain killers. I am desperate for sleep.Has anyone else experienced this and can advise any help.I am 72 and usually quite active. I also as yet cannot straightern the leg;

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Oh Eileen i sympathise with you . I had mine 8 weeks ago and had still same sleep issues

unfortunately its something we have to put up with fir a few more weeks. I am now able to sleep through the night without pain. Only thing i msn advise is putting pillows between your knees raising the operated knee on top of a nice soft pillow. Ask your GP for slow releasing pain killers to take at night these will also make you slightly drowsy so will help make you sleep.

I have now stopped taking all prescribed drugs but have bought sleepeze chemist bought tablets which help me sleep.

Hope this helps . I found soaking in bath and stretching leg under warm water also helped with the pain.

I do know how you feel but it will get better .

Take care and rest during the day also.

Good luck.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply.It is encouraging to know that it will get better (I had got to the stage where I wished I had not had the operation), but am really grateful for your advice.

Regards

• Posted

Hi Eileen, I know how you feel my op. was 7 weeks ago but its does get better. The nights are always the worse but it will improve. The pillow is a good idea and do get some slow release pain relief, it will help. Will you be having hydrotherapy? that will help too.  I am still hving some issues with the swelling and the tightness but i can see an improvement in the bending. I will keep plodding along.  Take care.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.