Night sweating and coughing in young male

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello everyone,

I hope someone can help me to find out what can possibly be behind these problems because they kinda drive me crazy. So everything started with a sudden severe headache and fever of 102 degrees (39 Celsius) and sore throat which worsened every day. Basically I was taking some medications before going to my GP but nothing helped. Day before going to see my GP a woke up at the middle of he night totally wet with everything else wet too. Never had something like this happening before...I went to my GP and got some antibiotics which helped me to get rid of fever and sore throat but then excessive coughing started and I still have night sweats. For 5 days already. Pretty I do not know what can cause this but I am afraid it can be something serious since only time I heard about night sweats was cancer. Basically I feel good during the day, do not have increased temperature but I just cough a lot and during night I wake up completely wet (the room temperature is good and I do not feel hot when I go to bed). What do you think guys? Does it look like a big deal to you or can this just be a common thing like flu or bacterial infection or something similiar to this? I am scared right now. Every answer is appreciated, thanks.

PS: I am a 19 year old male.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Daniel. As a parent I would advise a further trip to the GP as it maybe you need a further course of antibiotics or a change of antibiotic. If it persists then ask for blood tests. Obviously there are things you can get but getting further help straight away will solve the problem quicker. I thought I had some kind of infection about 18 months ago as I started with flu like symptoms. The GP prescribed antibiotics which sorted out the problems but I had no energy and was falling asleep about 10am and was like it all day. I had blood tests which were negative. About 6 weeks later I was still the same, so tired. It was due to a small increase in my blood pressure tablet. I was taking it in a morning and within 1 hour I was falling asleep. So blood tests did rule many things out.

Please go back and be strong with your GP.

I ,hope you go on ok, Gordon

• Posted

Hey Gordon,

First of all thanks for quick response. Well I still have few pills of antibiotics there left so we will see if it improves when I take them all ( I hope it will). But thanks for your advice gonna see my GP on Monday possibly. 

• Posted

Hi Daniel, do u have any pain in yr back or aches & pains. Or is it fine in the day but it just starts in the night.

• Posted

Hello Missy7581,

I feel fine during the day, I do not have any back pain, it starts during night when I randomly wake up with everything completely wet.

• Posted

Hi Daniel, glad I could hopefully help. Antibiotics should always be finished as otherwise bacteria can become immune to them. Also sometimes doctors change antibiotics dependant on the situation. You are making the right decision to go back to your docs. Let me know how you get on. Cheers, Gordon
  • Posted

Hi Daniel, it could be asthma with u only coffing in the night but don't listen to me u go back to your doctor. It could be a virus and if so Daniel it could take up to 6 months to properly leave yr body. Finish yr antibiotics and if still no improvemeñt get back to your GP for stronger antibiotics.

Hope u pick up soon & get well. X

• Posted

sounds like stomach reflux or gastro eosophogus reflux, go back to Docs discuss endoscopy and dont be put of by him.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.