Night sweats

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello I'm 9 years postmenopausal not taking anything no HRT could someone suggest something for the night sweats please 

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hello. A friend of mine buys the herb black cohosh. She finds that works and also avoiding spicy foods late evening.
  • Posted

Hi Sue 

oh bless you.. Night sweats arent nice ..

Black Cohosh may help some, but should be taken with caution and only for a short while with breaks in between.. 

How much black cohosh should you take?

For menopausal symptoms, the dose of black cohosh used in studies has been 20-40 milligram tablets of a standardized extract taken twice a day.

More than 900 milligrams a day of black cohosh is considered an overdose. Directions for taking black cohosh in other forms will vary. Some experts say that no one should take black cohosh for more than six months at a time.

Can you get black cohosh naturally from foods?

There are no food sources for black cohosh.

What are the risks of taking black cohosh?

Side effects from black cohosh include headaches and upset stomach.

Side effects usually occur at high doses.

There have been some people who may have developed liver problems after using black cohosh, the specifics of which are still being investigated.

Nonetheless, people with pre-existing liver problems, or those taking any other medication/substance that affects the liver, should either avoid black cohosh or check in with their health care provider prior to use.

Risks. Black cohosh may not be safe for:

Women who are pregnant (although it is sometimes used to induce labor)

Women who have -- or have had -- breast cancer or uterine cancer

Women who have endometriosis

Children under 18

People with liver disease, a high risk of stroke or blood clots, or seizure disorders

People with allergies to aspirin

i thought about using Black Cohosh years ago but the side effects put me off ..

good luck

Jay xx 

• Posted

My GP adds Epilepsy to that as most of the medications affect the liver. So much so many recommend yearly blood tests.
    • Posted

Hi Taz 

i always have annual full bloods 😊 done ..

ever since i was poorly with amoebic dysentery for 10 months in 1999 ..

when i lived in middle east for three years ..

had anual bloods ever since .. 

Hope your okay 

jay xx

• Posted

OMG Jay you sound as though you have been through the mill......

I so like the way you respond to most women on this forum.  I check in now and again just for peace of mind  xx

• Posted

Hi Toddpodd 

that is life ... 😃

we plod on .. 

Hope your keeping well 😃

jay xx

• Posted

Yup am OKish and now probably having yearly DEXA scans as this area has just started a research programme into osteoporosis. As only six months younger than their bottom age cut off, the op just had increases risk, as does medication on and have laost 4" in height are looking at including me in the research
    • Posted

Hi Taz 

yes we have to take care of the bones in peri and post menopause ..

i always have and was told to do this 10 years ago when my peri started..

so we do our best .. Thats all we can do and hope for the best ..

take care hun

jay xx

• Posted

Hi,  I agree with Jayneejay, I'd be wary using the Black Cohosh.  I tried it and it gave me really bad palpitations!  Hence I stopped it rather rapidly.  I suffer with sweats both during the day and at night and still haven't found anything that helps me.  I've just started using Starflower oil (capsules) and I've been advised these should help regulate my hormones and help with the sweats.  I won't hold my breath though!  I'm prepared to give anything a try at the moment.  It's not pleasant trying to do my job when sweat is pouring down my face and back and through my uniform sad

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.