Night Sweats and Hot Flushes After Unilateral Oophorectomy

Posted , 33 users are following.

Hello everyone,

I've decided to write to you all because I am struggling to find much information about the different types or intensities of hormonal changes immediately after the removal of one ovary.

5 days ago, I had a 10cm complex cyst removed along with my left ovary. The surgeon said my uterus and other ovary looked good. 

3 days ago I started my period - on its due date - and the day after that started experiencing intense night sweats (to the point of having to change my bedding and clothes) and hot flushes which felt like waves of heat rising up my neck, into my cheeks and face and lasting a minute or two. Worse than anything was the night sweats though - freezing outside of the blanket, dripping wet and boiling under it. I have barely slept 12 hours since the surgery.

I'm surprised by how little information is out there about the hormonal "shift" that simply must occur in one's body when one 'stage' of the reproductive loop is removed from the equation. I wish my surgeon had given me more information but perhaps even more information would not have satisfied my inherent feeling that my right, remaining ovary is actually dead and I've gone into menopause.

More likely, I think, is that my ovary is stunned from the full cut surgery and losing its mate and that it will take time to wake up. But in the interim, are menopausal like symptoms something anyone here has experienced after the removal of just one ovary? I keep being told that no, I won't be menopausal if I have one ovary left, but the health of the ovary is still to be seen. I have no kids and would be completely shattered to go into early menopause (I am 33). 

I know it's early days - and last night I actually had far few 'wet episodes' which made me feel really positive today. I also spoke to my surgeon who said that it is a bit 'unusual' that I am experiencing menopausal symptoms but that she thinks my righty is just fast asleep and will be engaged again soon.

I wonder how my period might play a role and if this is a good sign that it arrived as expected 3 days after surgery? Could my right ovary and brain already have had negotiations and it's already employed and earning benefits, and I'm just feeling a "general" drop in hormones due to the shock loss of its sister ovary?

Someone, please encourage me that this isn't going to be my story...early menopause at 33 before I've had the chance to have a baby with the love of my life?

(Still waiting on biopsy results but my surgeon doesn't seem too concerned that this giant thing in me was malignant. It looked like a giant testicle! I got her to take a photo.......)

3 likes, 51 replies

51 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi,

I had my surgery to remove one ovary and the f-tube in Jan this year. Now is already March and I still have not got my period back.

Whats more, I had hot flashes (never had it before!) and could not sleep well at night. I was told by my doctor that it takes time for my remaining ovary to wake up. It could take 6 weeks from my operation day up to 6 months !!

I am so worry that it is already 2 months after surgery and I am still not having any signs of having my period back. Plus these hot flashes which are meno symptoms really made me worry.

I wonder how long it takes u finally to have your period back since survery and how long did your hot flashes remained?

I am 44 when I had my surgery.

Thanks!!

• Posted

Hi Seewong1, I am 47 and have had both fallopian tubes and one ovary removed due to large cyst. I had open abdominal surgery due to the size of the cyst. I am 8 weeks post op and still no period and extreme night sweats. Not sure if you posted an update but did you get your period and did the night sweats go away?

• Posted

HI Sharon04821,

I had very light period around 2 months post-op then no more. I visited the Dr in Sept who put me on hormones to see if it can get my period back on track.

I had very heavy period in the next 2 months while I was on meds. However since the period was way too heavy, I decided to quit meds. Since Feb this year my period hasnt returned. I am prepared that I hv entered menopause. Dr said I should count 1 year from my last period, ie Feb 2018. If no more up till Feb 2019, thats official (menopause). Hot flashes gone though so at least I sleep better now.

I was 46 when I had the surgery Jan 2017.

• Posted

Hi, I had my right ovary removed about 7years ago and I am 52 now. I didnt notice any changes at all. I was told by my surgeon that the other ovary takes up the slack. I'm sure it will be fine, I know it's easy to say don't worry. As you say your period started right in time so that's a really good indicator that things are all ok. Also you need to give your body a bit of time to adjust. It will, our bodies are way smarter than we know. Hope all continues well for you 

• Posted

Hi there, so you have your period back on schedule after the surgery?

I am very worried because it is already March (I had the operation in Jan) and there is still no sign of any period.

• Posted

It took a little while fr my body to adjust, I think it takes at least 6 weeks for the internal healing to be ok. It was a while ago now but yes they did come back, I'm older than you and now don't have my periods think they stopped about 4 years ago, don't worry we stop the healing process with worrying eh, will be fine

• Posted

Thanks so much for your reply!

In that case I will wait for another month and then if still no signs maybe go for a blood test.

Hope you are doing well and thanks again for sharing!!!

• Posted

Hi there.  Since having one ovary and both fallopian tubes removed I have suffererd with night sweats but continue to have my period regularly.  I too was concerned that I was entering menopause despite the fact that my remaining ovary was supposed to pick-up the slack.  I experience the night sweats about one night a week, to the point where my face is quite damp.  In addition, post surgery my dreams have become more frequent and vivid.  At times I really miss that left ovary!  I am 44 years old and suspect I will enter menopause earlier than had I not had the surgery.  That said, the doctors don't seem concerned.  Good luck and keep the faith!

• Posted

Hi there, so you have your period back on schedule immediately after the surgery?

I am very worried because it is already March (I had the operation in Jan) and there is still no sign of any period.

• Posted

I did.  The doctor did caution me that might not be the case as hormones need to balance out a bit.  Your body may need a bit more time to heal.  The operation is quite invasive and worrying can also delay it.  You could ask them to run some blood tests to ease some of your concern.  Prayers to you!
    • Posted

Thank you so much for your reply!!

I m thinking to go back to the doctor if my period still has not arrived by April, though my Dr told me to wait 6 months. But I just worry the remaining one will go into coma forever!!

Ok I will ask for some blood test later.

It tests ovary functionality?

• Posted

Labs can verify your hormone levels (progesterone, FSH, LH, Estradiol) they can also tell you where you are at in your menstration.
  • Posted

Hello,

Glad I stumbled upon this thread. On January 19th I had a routine laperoscopy to confirm PCOS. They took out polyps in my right ovary and cauterize cysts on both ovaries. Everything went fine and I went home the same day. About 4 days later I started feeling really sick (extreme night sweats, no appitie, could not sleep, pain in my right side and could not have bowel movements. The doctors kept telling me I had the flu and there was no way I had an infection from the surgery. Fast forward almost a month and on February 16th they finally opened me up and discovered an 11cm infection that had encompassed my right ovary, fallopion tube and appendix. The doctor said it was hard as a rock and had never seen anything like that. Lab results came back begnin and it was just an infection from the laperoscopy. I was in the hospital for a total of 13 nights and on heavy duty antibiotics. I just went back for my post op and had my left ovary tested and it's working 🙏??!! My last period was February 11th, my periods are like clockwork and I'm currently a week late suppose to start March 12. I have been spotting for the past week (brown and pink) nothing more than a pantyliner. I have taken a few pregnancy test they are all negative. I did have a positive OPK test March 9 &10 ( obviously I ovulated super late). I'm a pregnant or is my period just all messed up from the surgery?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.