Night Sweats Following Surgery!!

Posted , 2 users are following.

Night sweats after hip surgery!! I had hip surgery in 2013 and had sweats so bad I did not have enough night clothing or sheets to soak up the perspiration.

I had hip surgery again in 2015 and again I had to throw out my pillow, it was soaked with my sweat. Not enough sheets or towels to possible keep up with the change in clothes and bedding?

Someone needs to give us answers as I am approaching another hip surgery this year.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

It could be any of the medications, anaesthetic, pain killers, etc that your body is objecting to and sweating in response.  You are probably given some form of morphine for your pain too.  Nurses might know what brings on the sweats for some patients.

Tramadol is recorded as causing sweating, but it could be any of the above.  I wonder if there is some tests to see what you are "allergic" to?

Are you using HRT and they have said you have to go off it for the surgery?  I have never stopped hrt for surgery but I read that some drs insist on it, which causes menopause symptoms to return.

I have had both hips replaced and did not have that problem but if anything interferes with my oestrogen replacement, I suffer badly with sweats and have soaked the sheets and pillow.

If you are from the UK you can purchase a cooling spray called Magicool and it is magic.  It is no longer available in my country.  It may be very expensive now but it will worth it for the time you are in hospital. Ask rellies to bring a can instead of flowers.

I have tried the gel pillows and bed toppers with no success, but they might work for you.

When did the sweating stop?  Before you left the hospital or did it continue for some time after discharge, and what medication were you taking then?

It just might be your body's response to such an invasion, a neurological response.

Good luck with it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.