Night time is the worse

Posted , 8 users are following.

All of my anxiety comes rushing at night. I want so badly to have a calm night, and to be able to fall asleep peacefully and get a goods night rest. Night time is when my palpitations start, probably because I'm so tired, I'm not sure. Idk if I should go see my GP or maybe go to a therapist?

2 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hello

Yes,  night time is sometimes quite awful when the brain is flooded with worry, and you cannot sleep.  Do you know what your main worries are or what you are fearful of?  If you can get to the root of the problem, then see your GP, who can then advise you what steps to take.  Medication will help you to relax.  You need some help, but you will get there.  Take heart.  Keep posting.

• Posted

I too find things worse at night, barely slept for a long time.  Therapy really helped me. Meds or therapy can help, discuss the options with a gp and do what makes you comfortable,  not whats quicker and easier for the gp (which is often medication). Theres no proof to say medication is any more effective than therapy, so it comes down to whatever your comfy with
  • Posted

Hi, I also have a difficult time at night.Some times my heart palpitates and i also have a strange vibration or trembeling going on at night.I realized that i am a three part being.Physical, spiritual,and Soul.What happens is the spiritual effects the physical and soul.So i have asked God to help me with this anxiety i have been experienceing .And He is showing me how to cope with all these symptoms by turning them over to Him.I have turned my life over to Christ and He is healing me of this anxiety.Oh I'm not saying its going away over night but it is gatting better.I found this bible verse:" But in everything by prayer and supplication with thansgiving let your requests be made known to God, and the peace of God,which passes all understanding,shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus."Phil.4 ,6-7

• Posted

I sometimes find it's better to get up and have a cup of tea and a bisquits and read a book for a while, then go back to bed again when I actually feel tired. Lying there mulling thoughts over is the worse thing. I usually do mine in the morning! Have to remember to get up immediately I wake. A suggestion is don't ty to have a calm night. Accept that you are going to have an anxious night instead and prepare for it. Have a warm bath, a wam drink, some lavender oil sprinkled on the pillow. remind yourself that no harm will actually come to you, no matter what you think or feel. It is only adrenaline in your system that is giving you weird sensations in your body. If you did'nt worry about the sensations, the anxiety and symptoms would go away. Ignore the panicky thoughts but accept that you will have them for the moment. Be kind to yourself and comfort yourself. Listen to the radio quietly (radio 4 extra is good for me, quite a lot of comedy). Hot water bottle with furry jacket is good or one of those lavender scented bags of hops that you heat up in the microwave. If really bugged then I get up and write down all the nutty anxious thoughts that go round and round. 
    • Posted

Thanks! That's a great idea. I have actually been trying to do some of those things and they seem to help a lot. I've never wrote down my anxious thoughts, though. They're quite dramatic lol but thank you so much! That's great! 
    • Posted

When you write them down, don't think about it too much, just scribble down all the bullshit that rattles through the brain until you run out. Try not to be judgmental of ANY thought (whether it is a 'good' thought or a 'bad' thought etc.), just let it all fall out. These are not your thoughts. they are the thoughts of Mr. Anxiety. Notice any patterns in the thoughts, do they say the same old thing every time, read them when you are not anxious and they can seem quite funny. By looking into fear, how it works in you, what are its triggers, what are its thoughts and behaviours etc. we are 'leaning towards' fear. This is a good thing! All our problems with fear occur when we try to run away from it. By leaning towards fear, investigating it, looking at what it does and how it behaves we can turn the tables on it. Rather than us being chased by fear, we become the chasers of fear. We find out about it.

We listen to what it says but we don't believe what it says. This approach takes practice but it does defineatly work. We are trapped in a 'fight or flight' defence system. Any actions that involve fight (e.g. 'I will defeat this terrible thing by willpower and positive thinking') or flight (e.g. I must avoid anything that makes me think of fear' ' I must run away' etc) will make the 'fight or flight' system turn up a notch. More anxiety. Then you worry about being more anxious and that causes your adrenal glands to pump out more adrenaline into your system. More anxiety. It's obvious. The only way out  of the fear state is not to fight it and not to run away from it. Accept it as a temporary guest. Notice which parts of the body are affected by fear. Have you noticed that the physical sensations of anxiety (sweaty palms, butterfly tummy, shortness of breath, tingling hands etc) are almost identical to the sensations we have when anticipating an amourous coupling! Except, one we describe to ourselves as sexual anticpation and the other we describe  as anxiety! We can't get rid of fear, it is hard-wired into the system. The only thing we can do is change our relationship to it. We have all tried running away from it, and we've tried it pretty thoroughly, and it doesn't work. In fact, it makes it worse. So I am trying to go the other way deliberatly. To move towards fear and not fight it. I will post to let you know how I get on!

• Posted

You're definitely right. I'm not running away anymore, as I find that makes it worse too! I have been more accepting towards it and actually tell myself it's gonna happen cause it is a pattern. I will try writing my thoughts down, as well. Thanks for the advice. It's been really helpful! smile I'm getting better at coping with the night time anxiety. And yes please tell me how it goes!
  • Posted

My anxiety is a lot worse at night too! Im struggling to understand what my anxiety is about. I tremble/shakey weird sort of vibration & feel scared to go to sleep, & when I fall asleep eventually it's very unsettled & I'm very tired in the morning-struggle to get out of bed.

I'm starting to get very upset...I'm just not myself at all...this had gone on since October last year. I just want to be myself again.

i was prescribed sertraline 50mg on Tuesday to take at night but I'm terrified of taking them...I've heard they can make you worse for the first few weeks & I don't think I could cope with that,..

• Posted

I know the feeling all too well! I never feel rested due to anxiety. Maybe you should go to a behaviorist and maybe they can figure it out. My anxiety is purely from my hypochondria. Usually my anxiety lasts forever because I'm always worried about it. I have learned to accept it and tell myself it's gonna happen and that nothing will happen like always. 

Yeah, I understand about the medication. Pills can have different effects on everybody and it's scary to see if it will be good or bad. Maybe take one and see how it goes. If it is too bad don't take it again. You wouldn't wanna not try something if it could possibly help you! I take a natural thing called Kava Kava. It really helps me. I was prescribed Xanax once but I don't like Xanax. 

• Posted

I'd love to have a good sleep & wake feeling rested & myself again! sad

I'm only just starting to accept that I have anxiety....reading posts on here have helped knowing others experience similar  to me

ia behaviourist sounds like an idea...I've tried writing thoughts down but they have no logic I don't know where they came from...I really should try one to see how I feel; I'm just so scared; the list of side effects are so long & the doc did say my symptoms would first be exaggerated 

I'm going to loon up kava kava...

thank you for replying...it's reassuring 

lyn 

• Posted

I understand. Pills always have a long list of side effects though. It sucks, but something's got to work right? I hope it helps you! Kava Kava helps me feel sleepy and relieve some of the anxiety so that I can I fall asleep peacefully smile 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.