Night-time pain

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I'm now nearly 10 weeks post op on my left TKR; I had the right one done last year. Unfortunately I developed a DVT in the leg post-surgery, which has delayed the physio and recovery, due to swelling. i became really ill whilst taking Warfarin, so have to inject myself with Dalteparin every day. My mobility is improving, and I'm planning a phased return to work next week. Pain isn't too much of an issue during the day, just when I first stand up, and then the old-lady noises appear! But night times are really bad; I remember they were with the last one, but this seems to be going on for longer. Can anyone give me any idea of how long this goes on for? If I get up, sit on the side of the bed, the pain disappears immediately, but when I lie down, it's like really deep toothache in my knee. I have to wake up to turn over 'scientifically' to minimise the pain. really fed up with it now!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jinny, I am 12 weeks po and I got cellulitis after the op, didn't appear until I was at home, but the pain and swelling plus two lots of antibiotics  stopped me from exercising the knee.  Had anti inflamatory meds after as well.  My knee  bend is ok and in fact sitting is so comnfortable that when I do stand..the tightness is horrible and have to stand still for a while to feel able to totter off!  The straightening is worrying me a little, have to have deep massage to help but I don't think my leg was that straight before the op! Nights as you mention are the worst.   Do you take any meds at night? this is the only time I do take them, 2  Paracetamol, not that they work immediatly but they sort of ease  the uncomfortable feeling in the leg.  A pillow between  legs and it is an operation in itself turning over and re arrangeing the pillow, have to throw off the duvet to acheive this.   ( I moved hubby to the back room) I did wake every hour last night and gave up about 5 and got up.   I do the same as you, sit at the side of the bed and allow my leg to get comfortable, even swinging them back and forth and also sideways.   I had my left knee done 8 years ago and can't remember having all these problems. See the consultant on the 10th so will make sure I make a list of questions I want answering.It might start off with.... WHY can't I sleep?
  • Posted

Unfortunately pain is as individual as fingerprints. Sounds like you might have a specific nerve that is getting irritated for some unknown reason. That is where a good electronic stimulation unit would be a big help. Other than that, rubbing a good healing type oil into the soft tissue after applying a very warm M O IST towel to the area for 10-15 minutes. After going through this recovery process several times the only very unscientific conclusion I've been able to come up with is that when you become inactive during sleep periods the blood pools at the damaged area and puts pressure on sosoft tissue areas. Elevating the leg slightly above the heart does get blood moving and helps. If you combine elevation, moist heat, massage and light excercise you might get enough relief to help unroll the affected nerve has a chance to fully heal. As has been discussed at different times, of all the areas damaged by this proceedure, nerves are the last thing to fully heal and that can take months.
  • Posted

I had my left TKR on March 19 this year, I developed cellulitis whilst in hospital so was in for 12 days which delayed my physio, also 9 days after discharge I was rushed in with a  blood clot on my lung, my knee is very stiff and I find myself swinging it outwards to walk up stairs, I do my excersises but pain and extreme stiffness don't help, wonder how long it lasts.
    • Posted

You will probably find it just will disappear over time as you continue to build strength in the ligaments and other soft tissue. Just continue to take it slow and steady, trying to make each movement as perfect as possible. If you find yourself trying to hurry up and down stairs just slow it down some.
    • Posted

Thank you, I think that is a lot of our problems we are too impatient and forget we have had quite major surgery, I was housebound for almost 6 months before my op, so now I'm raring to go, hope to try driving soon, although just working the pedals a couple of weeks ago set me back again, so will try again soon. I can walk upstairs slowly, but not down which is rather weird, one step at a time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.