Night time panic attacks

Posted , 10 users are following.

Anybody wake up at night with panic attacks, and have a way to stop or prevent that?  I get bouts every couple years, last year I was given sertraline, eventually stopped panic, I stopped sert, attacks returned, now ony taking 25 mg.  Working but makes me more anxious, don't want to take it forever.   

Without sert, I occas woke up feeling panic, as if house on fire and can't escape but telling myself that's ridiculous doesn't help because I know that.  Midnight walks help calm down but panic reoccurs when I get into bed ( bed-panic? )  Knowing that's a conditioned response doesn't help. 

I've had a mindfullness meditation class but sitting still makes me more anxious, and if panicky, that increases it,  walking reduces panic but walking all nite prevents sleep.

I've heard for some physical feelings like constricted breathing cause thoughts of panic or heart attack, which then causes a real panic attack. 

But I have no thoughts when I wake up, just the feeling of panic (only thought is, oh crap, another panic attack, I can't sleep with that.)  I've told myself it's a stupid attack soon to go away but I still feel panicky, can't sit still, feel like a volcano if I stay in bed, have to get up.  

Any ideas on preventing those stupid panic feelings?  Or is it just chemical, a night terror, any med help when that happens?

Thanks for any advice. 

Patrick

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Patrick im sp delighted u ave brought up this topic. Ive stsrted getting these six wks ago whuch resulted in me goin t hospital by ambulance at 5am! I ave irregular heart but always sinus rythem had trsts done all fine yet again.. But i am like u i go t bed wake up god knows wat hr wit heart racing n if i start t think bout it it literally starts thumping out of chest i get sweat n need the loo n feel wobbly. I try t go bak t bed n do deep breathin n tsll myself theres nothing wrong but easier said than done.  My dr said its highly unlike to b panic attack during sleep but it can happen so im so glad im not alone in tthis situation either. I just want to live normal life again this is goin on one yr now n p*ssing me off! 

• Posted

Thank you so much for all the supportive responses, you help me feel better.

I'm more vulnerable during stressful times but we all get those, moving, death of parent (both started attacks.)   Until last attacks I hadn't thought it's the same as agorophobia: a stressed, anxious person goes out, can't breathe, feels like heart attack.  Feels better at home but naturally fears going out (no reason it won't reoccur,) anxious, then panic:  a conditioned response, won't go out.  

Thanks, Chris for lengthy reply.  Agorophobics carefully desensitize themselves,  I'll try to see how I can apply that to my conditioned "bedpanic," (sounds funny, might help to laugh at it.)

I don't intend to take benzos regularly but have some, will try if it hits to stop it before I get conditioned. 

I know if I have a panic attack it makes sense to ride it out instead of give in (for me, going for a walk.)  I could just lie there.  But I really feel like a volcano about to explode, jump out of bed, then feel anxious but not exploding.  I don't like that lack of control but to me, lying there would be like telling an epileptic to stop shaking.  I know it's not the same, going to bed when panicky is more like pushing a panicky agorophic outside, just makes it worse.   Trying to calm down or waiting it out would be like ordering myself or others to calm down or be happy.

I realize I don't have a  bad life, job or anxiety ( Atlantic mag editor Scott Stossel has successful life and wrote on his incredible anxiety.)  But I have had stressful events.  Have seen counselors, there's always deep stuff and my thinking could be more positive but I don't feel thoughts precede panic and don't have irrational thoughts, I know it's a panic attack not heart attack, etc.

It's been frustrating they happen every few years or less, I'm sure it's worse for some of you, but I feel I'm not getting better with years.  I've probably heard most suggestions before but your support is motivating me to keep on trying them.     

A positive note, our pain makes us more compassionate, I do feel a love for all of you, thanks for helping.

Patrick

• Posted

This is an older thread, but was hoping discussion was still  ongoing. Your comment about night panic attacks being a biochemical function caught my eye. I had suffered from night panic attacks for years. Was so tired of every one trying to give me psyche drugs and counseling.  Always the first question, "what are you anxious about".  Well, nothing, from a dead sleep, like someone pressed a button I wake up in a panic. During  that time  my husband , a nurse, suggested I take a thyroid blood test. Although I had no symptoms of hypothyroidism, that was my diagnosis.He had suspected hyperthyroidism. So I was put on Synthroid. That was 17 years ago. The panic attacks continued on the med. My husband passed away about 10 years ago. He was stationed in Afghanistan and while he was away, I suffered a daytime panic attack, which, I will admit, may have been brought on by stress. I drove myself to the hospital. All the talk of vallium, prozac, you know the drill.  I followed up with my family doc, who told me it was my choice to do the prozac. I chose not to, but as an aside vitamin d was becoming a vitamin of interest, and was suggested that I take it. That much I did. About 2 months later my husband was killed in action.  After about 6 months of terrible grief that would follow an event as this, I realized that I had not had a panic attack since taking the vitamin d. Over 10 years later, I have not had an episode. However, now I have been diagnosed with an enlarged thyroid with nodules. I am so grateful that the panic attacks stopped, but I do feel that since I had no symptoms of hypothyroidism, should have not taken the Synthroid. It never helped the attacks, as I continued to have them for years while on the meds. Did my grief change my brain patterns, did the vitamin d eliminate the attacks, I have no idea, but I will never be without my vitamin d.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.