Night vs Day urination frequency

Posted , 12 users are following.

Why is it that I have little to no problem urinating during the day time but the extreem opposite at night after retireing. I take tamsulosin 1/2 hour after my evening meal. Have been avoiding any major surgical intervention. Had the TUMT last January and that was short lived. Have added high quality Saw Palmeto to my meds in hopes of improvment.

Hoping for some input here.

2 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I started taking tamsulosin in the morning about 1/2 hr after breakfast.  This seemed to help me.
  • Posted

Hi James,

I take Life Extension Ultra Natural Prostate formula.  Not sure how much it helps but it appears to be the best natural concoction out there - per my research.

Good luck!

• Posted

James,

After I had radiation for prostate cancer I had some prostate swelling and my urine flow was cut off for 5 weeks. I had to use several Foley catheters with a leg bag until the swelling went down and I could urinate on my own. I became very aware of the amout of urine that I was passing both day and night. After the catheters came out I still spent a couple of additional months measuring the flow using a beaker. This proved to be a very interesting scientific study - I really learned a lot.

About 2/3rds of my total daily urine occurred at night. The reason for this is that during the day a lot of moisture is exhaled just breathing and some is evaporated off the skin. At night, breathing is shallow and there is little evaporation taking place in bed. So, at night I pass about 75-80ml of urine per hour and during the day about 45ml. I am sure this varies person to person depending on bodyweight, temperature and activity level. Hope this answers your question.

Tom

• Posted

Very interesting and I commend you on your careful analysis. 

Thank You

• Posted

You should probably do a voiding diary noting the time and amount of urine you void over a 24 hour period. Do the same thing for any fluid you take in, including all beverages in addition to water. 

There can be  more than one cause for night time frequency (nocturnia) but a voiding diary will give you and your doctor a good start. 

Jim

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.