Nightly leg cramps; leg lump

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been waking throughout the night 1-3x every night with severe leg cramps in my calves for about 2 months.

In the last 2 weeks I have developed a medium-sized, painless lump on the front/side of my left leg - near where the muscle meets the shin, facing the inner leg.

To be honest, I do not care to go to doctors that often. Which is why I am seeking rudimentary advice here first.

Something to note: I got some potassium supplements yesterday and took my first one last night. Obviously it hasn't had time to effect anything yet.

Also, today my left calf has had a continuous twitch near the lump; no pain, just annoying.

Any one has similar experiences? Anyone see a physician due to something similar; what was the outcome?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello rebeca

I have been having severe cramps in my thighs for about 5 years. When it happens its usually after ive sat down at the end of the day and go to get up. Starts just below my knee, twists the muscle and if i don't dig my nails in the muscle as hard and deep as i can, it shoots up into my stomach and traps me doubled over.it makes me scream and cry and is very scary as i live on my own and cant move. I have been prescribed 30mg quinine tabs and they work. I had a couple of mild attacks but nothing like before unless i forget to take a tablet. That is...... until last week!! When i ate too much sugar on a long driving journey. When i sat down at home it went in my left thigh. Then when i got in bed it went in both thighs i was screaming in agony if i could have got to my phone i would have dialled 999 but it passed after about 10 mins. So i think i now know what causes mine!!. Hope this helps?.

• Posted

I am so sorry Rosey that must be unbearable my leg cramps are mild in comparison I have had them for some time and the last month every single night so affecting my quality of life the next day so only yesterday I went to a doctor of chiropractic services two days ago and he said it's nothing to do with magnesium potassium or other dietary problems but he diagnosed me with peripheral nerve damage in my sacroiliac joint in the lower spine he actually walked on my back and did a lot of pulling of my legs and the last two nights I have not had any cramps it was magic so maybe you could check that out with a chiropractor or osteopath maybe? he also advise using heat on the lower spine pour a hot bath is excellent also check out Quinine tablets taking them over a long period of time could be harmful.

• Posted

Focusing just on the cramps, there are two old and tested solutions:

1. Banana - cramps often indicate low potassium, so eating potassium rich foods like bananas help.
    2. Magnesium supplement - cramps often indicate magnesium deficits, so buy this in powder form ideally bovine extracted and mix with water. Drink a glass before bedtime. You'll sleep better (as magnesium will relax you) and your leg will feel far better.

Good luck!

• Posted

iI have had leg cramps every night starting in feet for over a month - consequently always tired the next day so affecting my quality of life.

Maybe be your lump and cramp problem are two separate conditions and not linked.

Magnesium supplements are usually taken for muscle cramping Bananas have loads of potassium

• Posted

Agreed. Magnesium not only will help with cramps but will also greatly help with sleep.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.