Nightmares

Posted , 6 users are following.

Does anyone have nightmares with hyperthyroid?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

If I take too much thyroxin I get nightmares that make me 'defend myself' by lashing out - usually involving punching the bedside table which then leads to a belief that what ever it is ( last time it was a crocodile ) is fighting back which  causes further punching  and usually leads to very bruised knuckles and an extremely fed up wife, a spilled mug of water and stuff from the table all over the floor.

?I didn't get this when I had a thyroid,  although it was wildly over active,  but it certainly happens if I get too mych thyroxin in my system !  Thankfully it is a very rare occurrence but certainly something to watch for.

• Posted

I am just noticing the nightmares with mine... Never had them before. I am also subclinical. It most likely comes the anxiety I think
  • Posted

I have had lots of problems with nightmares and excessive dreaming. It seems that body is inappropriately putting brain into fight or flight mode and thats what causes the nightmares. It is hellish you go to sleep only to get up even more exhausted.

I am also antidepressant intolerant. Every antidepressant I have taken has given me excessive dreaming and nasty nightmares. Also some of the beta blockers (like inderal) can cause nightmares.

I am subclinical hyperthyroid.

• Posted

Yes, recently I have been noticing the nightmares. Really scary when waking up and your heart is pounding with fear. Also I deal with the anxiety so I think a lot of the nightmares stems from it. I have not experienced this before. I'm also subclinical hyperthyroid.

• Posted

No I am not on any medication for thyroid currently. Physician has told me to go repeat the thyroid panel. Last thyroid panel I was slightly over range for Free T3. Free T4 and TSH were with limits. I deal with tachycardia, temperature intolerance, palpitations during sleep, severe exhaustion, anxiety, depression etc.
    • Posted

Looks like we're on the same boat. I deal with all of those too. I am repeating test this friday. My tsh is low but everything else normal. I'm trying to manage symptoms through diet, yoga, and any vitamin deficiencies.

• Posted

Also, Top up on Magnesium supplements,  it will ease anxiety, help stop palpitations and is very calming.  You can bathe in epsom salt or dead sea salt, have a foot bath with it too as it absorbs easily. Likewise Frankincense oil - rub it onto your skin or put some in an incense burner - maybe while you are doing your yoga!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.