nightmares

Posted , 7 users are following.

hi been prescribed mirt 15mg for deppresion can anyone tell me if they are having terrible nightmares while taking this medication i have been on them for 4 days and not sure if i should carry on taking them also sleeping for 12 hours a night and feeling terrible the next day like having a bad hangover is this normal and how long will it last

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mick -

It sounds like you are  having a rough go. You might find it helpful to google the side effects of starting Mirtazapine. I think your nightmares, long hours of sleep and groggy/hangover feeling are not unheard of.  Everyone is different so the side effects vary from one person to another. I had terrible nightmares and still, 15 years later sleep for 10-12 hours and often feel groggy in the morning.

One thing that you have in your favor is that you just started the Mirtazapine and being on them for 4 days you may find it easy to stop or switch medications. Act fast! If the Mirtz is solely for it's antidepressant properties there are numerous other antidepressants available.  Mirtz is also used to help with anxiety, sleep disorders and weight gain.

I wish you well. If you can read, read, read and learn as much as you can about any antidepressants or psych drugs.  good luck.

• Posted

Hi mick

Yes this is very typical unfortunatly. I too am on 15mg but its stopped working for sleep for me i wake at 4am and cant get back to sleep. But for the first week or so the effects knock you out i remember sleeping 14 hrs first night and couldnhave slept more. I have heaps of side effects but everyone is different and i am sensitive. I cant take more than 15mg but recommended dose is 30mg for depression which i have but it gives me panic at that dose. This site is great for a little comfort and reassurance but the things you feeling are normal. The nightmares are horrid thiugh huh i still wake wondering if its real or not it makes me feel weird

• Posted

Yes these are normal side affects. 'Nightmares should stop after a few weeks but they can persist in some cases. And the sleepiness should get better in a few weeks too but the tablets can generally nake you more lethargic. You should also notice an increased appetite too soon

• Posted

Hi Mick,

My doctor prescribed me 30mg of Mert yesterday and I took it last night at 8pm. About half hour later I felt really sedated and sleepy, a welcome feeling at first as I have serious trouble sleeping. I decided to go to bed. I had the most restless night sleep with the craziest dreams. I kept waking up covered in sweat but felt freezing cold. I couldn't get up though I was so sleepy my eyes felt like they couldn't focus on anything for long.

I slept till 1pm today and still feel a bit spaced out now. So you are not alone.

I was preciously on 30mg of citalipram. But after a rough patch and continuous trouble sleeping my doctor changed my meds yesterday. I have a chest infection and my doctor starting me on anti biotic a yesterday as well. Maybe this contributed to my bad night?

Can anyone tell me what to do also as I'm a bit scared to take another one this evening?

Thanks

• Posted

thanks for all your replies i decided to stick with it and took my tablet last night and thankfully had a good night no nightmares just a few nice dreams still feel groggy all day but i felt tired and groggy before i started on the meds which doctor thinks is part of the depresion tried other meds in the past namely sertraline and citalopram both of which didnt agree with me thats why i was prescribed these meds will stick with it and see how we go thanks again for your kind support and will keep updating on my progress ps beau bell 30 mg is a strong dose for these meds thetre a lot more powerful than any other ads 15 mg have knocked me sideways maybe you can break tablet in half for a week or so until your body adjusts thanks mick
    • Posted

Thanks for replying Mick. Glad your night was better. I have been worrying about whether or not to take another one.

I am going to try just halving as you suggested. I am only a small 8 stone women and I didn't eat much yesterday so I think it was just too high for me as I have read on here a few people have said the same.

• Posted

hi beaubell how did your night go hope it was better 30mg seemed like a very high dose for a such a small person i myself am 15 stone and 15mg has floored me slept fine again last night but still very groggy and dazed today. althou i didnt sleep as long as previous four or five days. after taking these meds i do beleve that the starting dose should be 7.5mg at least for a week until our bodies can adjust hope we can both  give them a month to feel full affects but i am due back at work next week and not sure if i would be able to get up for work but fingers crossed side effects might have subsided by then good luck to you mick
    • Posted

Hi Mick,

Thanks for your reply to me. I slept fine last night and have managed to force myself up the last few days at 8am for the kids. I still feel so dazed and tired through the day which I'm really struggling with and its making me a little anxious. I think I might half the dose for a few days again making it 7.5mg. It's sort of a no win situation at the moment. I feel I need the 15mg to help me sleep well but I'm struggling during the day.

It's nice to know someone is in the same situation and experiencing the same thing. Lots have people have said the grogginess and tiredness wears off after a week or so, I do hope so.

How long have you been on them and have you stuck to the 15mg every night?

• Posted

hi beaubel first two nights i took half of the 15mg tablet which still wiped me out since then i have taken the full 15mg had exactly the same reaction as your having days 3 4 5 where the worst day 6 felt the same until tea time then to my surprise felt good and slightly refreshed today is day 8 and althou i feel a little bit shaky and jittery with slight thick headedness and slight headache i feel a lot more with it. this is late morning so hopefully in a couple more hours i wil feel okay again .dont feel anxious about taking them anymore as the sideaffects i feel have subsided by about 70 percent thank god. hopefully over the next week or so they will have dissapeard altogether . i came so close to stopping them but glad i stuck it out. dont feel any  theraputic benefits from them yet but i understand that will take a few weeks. stick with it mate and we will get through this together good luck mick
    • Posted

Hi Mick,

Im glad there is light at the end of this tunnel. I just don't know how many more days of feeling like a zombie I can take. Everyone keeps asking what's wrong with me because I'm finding it hard to make conversation or seem interested. I just want to lay down and ignore everyone. I'm having a bit of a bad day as you can probably tell. I hope yours is better and you are regaining some energy and are feeling more normal today.

I'm having a glass of wine and an early night (my first drink since starting the meds) probably won't help but I just want to relax a bit.

• Posted

hi beaubell today is my 9th day slept good was up nice and early feel 95 percent normal no groggyness or tiredness only slightly shaky. vision slightly of but feel okay. i feel if you can get to eight or nine days you will level out and things will be okay hang on in there mate i am only a few days ahead of you and im surprised how much the sideaffects have dissapated best of luck mick
  • Posted

Hi Mick

Nightmares last for about 2 weeks, while the medication fits to you, no worries about it. At the beginning you feel drowsy but after 3 or 4 weeks you'll be ok.

Hope it is useful for you.

Any questions feel free to ask me.

Thanks

• Posted

Hi Mick, it's very early days. You may find the nightmares subside and the oversleeping. It's recommended that you can't gauge if a med is working for about 2 weeks to a month. I don't have nightmares as such, I have what I call anxiety dreams, that often don't make sense, but I can usually relate them to something that's bothering me in my waking life. I always put it down to the Venlafaxine but maybe it's the Mirtazapine.

Good luck

• Posted

Hi catherine you hit the nail on the head im having awful anxiety dreams to the point im having a fight with my own mind the whole time im trying to sleep its so bad that by 6am i give up and just get up to give my mond a rest from itself! Ibe now been back on the mirt sonce end of august after suffering a month of truly horrifying cold turkey and actually felt not bad for first couple weeks but now i just dont feel myself at all. Im suffering terrible pins and needles and skin sensitivity to the point i want to crawl out of my own skin. But ive tried so many anti depressants with severe side effects and i need to be on something. Im only 43 but ive had so much time off work with this.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.