Nightshades

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all, so I took the plunge and on Monday I cut out night shades from my diet.

I've suffered with HS for over 20 years but this last year or so it has got completely out of control and I'm in constant pain. I'd never heard of nightshade till I joined this group a few weeks ago and even then I wasnt convinced (only because I love spuds and chips and pizza etc etc) anyway after spending last weekend in pure agony and barely able to walk and cring with pain, I thought enough is enough I'll try anything, so I got up on Monday morning and that was it.

I have to say I feel so positive about it already in this short time a lot of the inflammation has gone down and the pain is very little in fact practically zero I am absolutely shocked.

As I'm new to it all I'm still leaning so all advice welcome. Think I hid a bit of a stumbling block yesterday. Friday night is our takeout night and I normally have pizza so thought I'd have Chinese last night instead just had chicken fried rice and prawn crackers but have this morning that familiar pain under my arm so I'm guessing there was something in it I shouldn't have had. What do you guys eat if having a take away the other thing Ive been looking for is an alternative to crisps, I thought corn snacks but any I've looked at have paprika any suggestions there also welcome!

Anyone who's putting it off or thinking no Im not doing that honestly give it a go, the results alone will keep u motivated.

2 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Andypandy76. It was so good to read your post, I hope it encourages others to try cutting out night shades. I've been cutting them out for a good while, after reading someone's post on this forum. It has worked really well for me too. I still get them from time to time, but I do sometimes give in and have chips or some other forbidden nightshade. It's always the favourites that seem to be the culprits. I love tomatoes, peppers and potatoes.

Don't forget some alcohol is made from potatoes, eg vodka. Also some foods have potato starch.

To be honest, I just generally steer clear of the actual vegetables, otherwise life becomes too restricting.

I can cope with the odd outbreak, it's when it's constant that it drags you down.

The alternative for crisps I was going to suggest was prawn crackers. I buy them uncooked from the Chinese warehouse and cook them in the microwave, they contain corn starch, but it sounds like these might be bringing out an outbreak for you.

Instead of potatoes, you can use carrots or sweet potatoes, they're lovely brushed with oil and grilled.

Keep it up and let us know if it's still working for you in a week's time.

• Posted

Thanks kaymate, never thought of alcohol, I generally just stick to white wine though..... Emmmmmmm could of been prawn crackers although it feels fine now got a bit off puss out of it and it's not annoying me so could of been something that was happening pre cutting out the ns anyway. My areas still look terrible but the pain is virtually zero so I'm delighted.... At the minute I am trying very hard to be very good to give things a good chance to heal but I imagine in time yes I'll have the odd plate of chips and bare the consequences of the odd lump but at the way I have been is totally covered both underarms and whole groin and the odd one appearing in random places like my leg, I just couldn't cope any longer!

I've been eating popcorn instead of crisps and sweet potatoes instead of ordinary.

• Posted

I cannot eat the slightest bit of nightshades or I will develop cysts. I'm sure the Chinese takeout had spices in it. Even eating something that's been fried in the same oil as potatoes can be bad. Glad you found your trigger! It took me about 6-8 weeks to totally get better after cutting them out. My deep cysts and tunnels came to the surface during that time. I don't cheat at all! But sometimes I accidentally eat something, especially if I eat out and don't know for sure what ingredients are in the food. I cook at home most of the time.

Keep going! Get your life back!

• Posted

Oh, if you have Frito Lay products where you're at see if you can find corn chips, Tostitos and Funyons.
  • Posted

Hi andypandy76, that is awesome how positive it's immediately had an affect on you.

How good is it to think you have control.

Hang in there for quite a few months , there might be relapses but each one is an opportunity to work out what triggered it.

It's ironic that it's always our favourite foods that are the triggers. There's some logic behind that. For me it's potato, capsicum, peppers and suspect dairy.. all the things I've always loved and probably had daily.

With these intolerances I've found I can handle a little tomato .. or a little potato starch. But a whole potato and 'game over'.

To reset I eat plain foods, lettuce, carrot, chicken, eggs and limit my dairy. Until the symptoms subside.

I haven't cut out dairy, but I've heard people that do find themselves less sensitive to their nightshade triggers.

Also I believe probiotics have helped repair my gut .. definitely recommend them as we're dealing with autoimmune issues.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.