Nighttime Dosage of Levothyroxine

Posted , 3 users are following.

Just began Levothyroxine. 2 weeks on 25 mcg, then raised to 50 mcg. 2 weeks ago. I began taking at 5am in morning. A few days ago I began taking earlier and earlier until last night took at midnight. I go to bed by 10 or earlier, so I wake up to take it. (This is easy since I've slept so poorly for years) RESULT: Last night I slept like a child!! No aches or pains! Woke up at 6 AM feeling rested and awake! Extremely rare for me not to have aches, pains, insomnia. I believe that waiting for several hours after eating is very important. Also, I don't take any other meds, just vitamins, minerals at mid-day. So many people take unnecessary drugs to treat symptoms of hypothyroidism. Try to stop taking as many as you can (especially sleep/pain meds). All of these could interference in thyroid hormone absorption. Also take vitamins especially DHA & EFA Omega 3, avoid GLUTEN and garbage carbs!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Thank you for sharing.. that's very good advice and great to hear your feeling better with taking it at night!

• Posted

Yes thanks! What a difference! U had no idea all my symptoms could be assuaged with a tiny pill!
  • Posted

So glad you are feeling better. Why don’t you take it before you go to sleep? A lot do including myself. I keep them in my bedside table. As long as they are taken 3-4 hours after food. As for the supplements, they will only interfere with the absorption of levo if taken closely together. Again it should be 4-6 hours apart. There are some people who genuinely need supplements dilute to low levels
    • Posted

Thanks. Good suggestions. I've tried taking hormone at bedtime. The first time, I slept badly, but it may have been indigestion. Last night, however, I did not eat anything after 6pm and took it at 10. I slept like a baby! I had no "carpal tunnel" hand/wrist pain that I had been suffering from for many months. No aches whatsoever and my sleep quality was very high. I believe I am sensitive to poor digestion that prevents meds from being absorbed well. So I personally have to be super careful to take meds with nothing in my system. Also I read that at night one's digestion is slower and thus better absorption throughout intestinal tract. Maybe need to take Hydrochloric acid pills?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.