Nighttime panic attacks

Posted , 5 users are following.

For some reason the majority of my panic attacks start when I'm asleep. I wake up to a very warm sensation that

Starts at the top of my head and moves to my feet, next is the rapid heart beat and the feelings of impending doom. All I want to do at this point is die... I have klonopin as needed and it works. What I don't understand is why I

Would have these attacks when I'm asleep.

(Side note-- I've never known what "triggers" my attacks

I can be worry free and still have them and visa versa .. I can worry and stress all day and not have one)

Has anyone else experienced this ? I'm concerned that I have something else in addition to panic disorders

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Talk to your GP dmott you need where this concern is coming from, CBT may help
    • Posted

Thanks borderriever,

Thank you for taking time to read my post and respond

I see my psychiatrist monthly and I also have a therapist that I've had CBT with

I guess I just want to know if anyone else has the same symptoms ... The warm feeling starting at head moving to toes, palpitations and feeling of impending doom.. I feel like in the only person on earth with these symptoms.. I know panic manifests in different ways in different people but I've NEVER seen/read another post with someone describing any of my symptoms except palpitations

• Posted

dmott

Try sleeping in a different position, and also try and set the pillow that little bit higher that may help

• Posted

. Why it happens in your sleep is when its all sub concious which is interesting. I would suggest learning to meditate for real. Start with beginners and work you way up. The guided ones are sweet but at some point when you do learn how you can get to your subconscious while awake and maybe unbury something in there that messing with you,

you are describing a panic attack. Classic panic attack. It just sucks it when you are asleep. 

• Posted

Have you ever considered hypnotherapy?
    • Posted

No I've never considered hypnotherapy but I'll definitely look into it now

I feel better already just knowing that my symptoms are true panic attack symptoms !!!! Thank you

• Posted

Try getting tested for hpylori or parasites, I too get anxiety and had tingly warmth ur talking about and I had hpylori and parasites I've been cleansing herbaly and so far it has helped alot. Just a thought because my symptoms are similar. I am not a doctor nor claim to be.

• Posted

For those of us with anxiety, I've noticed that there are two really "bad" times of the day: in the morning and at night. Some people have awful anxiety when they wake up in the morning, and others have terrible anxiety at night. My anxiety happens mostly at night and it makes it almost impossible for me to fall asleep or stay asleep, so I'm with you on this one. I've found that taking Melatonin tablets (totally natural sleep aid) has been helpful. I also exercise a little bit before bed so that I sleep better. But it sounds like you really need some CBT to address the root causes of your anxiety. Once that gets addressed you'll find that these panic attacks won't happen as often. I hope you feel better very very soon, my friend.! 

Peace 

• Posted

I too suffer with these in the nighttime, main systoms I experience are difficulty swallowing, jumping out of my sleep unable to breath and palpitations

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.