Nighttimes post TKR

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi again, I will now be 3 weeks post TKR on Saturday & I seem to be doing really well during the days in all aspects - walking around downstairs in the house without crutches, pain management, ice packs, clips all out ok, exercises etc.  However, nighttimes are a completely different ballgame!!  I have slept for a maximum of 3 hours!!!  I really think now that its more because stiffness sets in, making it extremely uncomfortable to settle to get any longer.  Having worked my meds out to have some left for during the night does not seem to be working either. adding an icepack helps for about half an hour, but not enough to get back to sleep!!  I know there is not going to be a quick fix answer to this, but can anyone tell me your experiences/timespan/remedies that might help on this please??  Many thanks x

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Oh the night times, I remember them so well.   Unfortunately there is nothing really but to go with the flow.  Sleeplessness is the norm at this stage.  All you can do is sleep during the day at the moment.  I took Nytol which helped for a few hours.  Have you tried heat and ice?  I found the sofa the most comfortable place both day and night because of the confined moving space with props of loads of pillows.  
  • Posted

I am now 8 weeks tkr and last night was my first full night's sleep, just sleep when you can ie during the daytime if possible it really helps - good luch it does get better
  • Posted

At 3 weeks, u will be up at night. Two tips R sleep during the day and sleeping pill at night.mMy sleep started to get better at 7 weeks. Still not great which is why I am writing at 3 AM. U.S. East Coast. Some nights good and some I just get up. And, I have some stiffness in one leg, but no pain. So pain does not wake me up.  Three weeks is earlly on for an operation that takes a lot out of u.  I had 2 knees done at the same time; therefore, I

had a bit more pain. I am 10 weeks and doing great except for sleep. 

Patience and naps. It gets better. 

• Posted

I am 6 weeks post op and the most I manage is 3 hours then I wake up have to reposition luckily going back to sleep it does gradually get better I take my kindle to bed with me and if I can't get back to sleep I read for a while till I can 
  • Posted

I too am at the same stage as you. I had my operation on 18th

April. Nights are really bad at the moment. This is my second tkr but seems worse than the first which I had last year. I can't get comfortable at all which ever way I lie it seems to be pulling on

my knee.The covers on the bed are on and off and I wake up when I do eventually get to sleep freezing. I seem to just drop off

about the time I should be getting up. I don't want to get in a routine where I am still in bed late morning. Once up I then can nod off Willy nilly. Still so know this won't last and look forward to a full good night's sleep. At least it helps to know you are not on your own. X

• Posted

Good to hear how you are getting on.

Don't give up it does get better

Take care

Love Sarah xx

• Posted

Definately know I am not on my own now Joan - My op was the 18th too!  This is my 1st knee to be done - but the other needs replacing too!!  Take care xx
    • Posted

Hi, so good to read the posts, I had my tkr on 23 April so 2 weeks and likewise one of the things I have found apart from lack of sleep is that when I do drift off, I wake with a heavy leg and very cold,

I have been wearing my dressing gown in bed otherwise I would be shaking with cold walking to the bathroom, although we have been leaving the heating on! I wondered if it was the meds or just laying and not moving which normally I would move into another position. 

I also find I'm awake until I take my 2am medication then drop off till about 4 .  I'm awake till after I have my breakfast then go back to bed about 9 and have another hour.   I am hoping another week I might be able to shake myself into a better routine as I don't like the morning disappearing " in bed".   

Chin up to everybody !  I have found this site invaluable.  

Sue x 

• Posted

It could be the blood thinning meds they give you making you cold I was the same 
    • Posted

My feet were like ice for 5 weeks, my doc told me that it was the blood thinners too
  • Posted

I had TKR 3 years ago and this is exactly what happened to me. Initially I would go to sleep but then wake up very uncomfortable a couple of hours later and not be able to get back to sleep. Although I do not wake up in pain and discomfort any more and normally can get back to sleep fairly quicly I still wake up nearly every night which I rarely used to do. Seems t have just changed my sleep pattern. This came as a total shock to me, I had always been such a good sleeper.

If it's not a personal question, how old are you. I am 64 now. Maybe your sleep pattern changes as you get a bit older anyway?

I know the feeling and hope this settles down for you

Take care

Keep me posted

Sarah

• Posted

Sarah, I am just 50, and before the op used to maybe get up once in the night for the toilet! xx
  • Posted

I found out like many other people sleeping at night is rough. Took pain pill before bed and tried to get two or three hours sleep. Must agree with others try catching naps during daytime if you can.I can only say it does get better as weeks progress on. Pain pills and ice was constant for me. I am tkr nine weeks and very glad had it done.keep up the good work and good luck too you.
  • Posted

Kmcg14, I am 7 weeks post TKR and remember so well those first several weeks.  Exactly as you are describing it, I would awaken about every 2 hours during the night with stiffness and pain.  What seemed to help was a 10 mg dose of Oxycodone AND a sleeping pill.  That would give me about 4-5 hours of sleep.  It does get better as now I am taking Aleve at bedtime (and once during the day), using an ice pack at bed time, and using those cream rubs (Arnica, Ben Gay, Ice/Heat) over the muscles above and below the knee.  I sometimes awaken and use the rubs again during the night.  I noticed this morning that my knee was much less swollen than it has been so it must be getting better.  It is such a hard recovery.  The other issue is the tiredness that seems to accompany this procedure which I also understand finally gets better.

Take care of yourself and rest whenever you can.

• Posted

I am at 5 weeks and your experience sounds much like my own, night times are the worst , however last night I managed a 6 hour stretch so there is hope.I think the only thing you can do is rest in the day when you are able,I have found that when I wake up stiff getting out of bed and hobbling around for a few minutes helps,best wishes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.