Nightwear after THR - girls only

Posted , 18 users are following.

Anyone who's had a THR - what should I take to wear in hospital? Never wear anything in bed at home but that's not a good look in a busy ward! I know I have to take loose clothes in to wear when up and about but what 's the best nightwear to take, bearing in mind drains and catheters post-op?

Cheers M'dears.

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

As another hippie has posted...knee length nighties ( which I normally hate) but for practical reasons....catheter/drain checking you etc etc.   It is so warm in the wards that you shouldn't need a dressing gown unless you are wearing filmsy nighties..  all are in the same boat.

​Very best of luck..it is daunting isn't it but everyone is so kind and have seen it all so many times.  I was so nervous it was V

• Posted

sorry :contiuned: I was so nervous and this site was such a blessing the days and hours before the op.

Ali

• Posted

I went in unexpectedly after an accident, so had nothing. I wore the bog-standard hospital gown that opened at the back. Went commando the whole time. I had my own room, so privacy wasn't an issue. The one and only time I hobbled to the tea room, I just held the gown closed at the back...
  • Posted

It *is* funny how old this thread is and people are still posting! I went on a shopping spree to get all the things I'd need. The bathroom, tub, raised toilet seat.. but on the same shopping trip, I got myself 2 new gowns. I got two of my favorite gowns from Eileen West. I normally get white 100% cotton because it can be bleached and I just think white is clean looking. I like white towels, etc.. I got a second one with a very pale pattern. I have about 4-5 of these and they are all cotton, don't make you feel hot, loose, easy to raise for whatever reason, and really pretty. You know? I have NO CLUE what I wore home... seriously. A nice soft robe without a belt ( trip hazard ) but maybe a zipper or buttons. I ended up just living in these nightgowns! They're especially good if you sweat at night or have a sudden hot flash. You can throw off your robe and there you go. Nice and cool. They feel like nice cotton sheets, only thinner. About $75 each. But, your worth it. 
    • Posted

Thanks. I think that the thread continues because it is a woman's issue and - at least in my experience - it is simply not covered in briefings/consultations.

It is interesting reading the conversations on this blog - most patients seem to be from warmer climates. At -29 in Ottawa today, the discussions about how to cover up are more about bundling and boots for getting back and forth (I am very glad that my boots have zips)!

Never-the-less, I appreciate the specific in-hospital advice and will indulge in some retail therapy to address this. A friend of mine found that a quarter bed rail really helped with getting in and out of bed so I am renting one of those as well as this is the single element that worries me the most (I am a frequent riser at night) :-((

Thank you for your entries - 'luv' your perspective.         

• Posted

I went shopping the other day and bought a couple of nighties... Jogging bottoms and I've got t shirts to wear too. Also slippers! Is this ok?

What about the underwear thing? I think I would feel uncomfortable not wearing any but wait and see. You never know.

I didn't think I would have a catheter in, no one at the hospital has mentioned this so far.

• Posted

I had a catheter in because I just couldn't wee after the op. I ended up lying on bed pans for a while and I just couldn't do it. It got to the point where my bladder was so full it became uncomfortable and that's when they fitted the catheter. Such relief!

As for knickers, I wore the big disposable ones that the hospital provided. Although I think it's fair to say that at that point I didn't really care!

Hope all goes well with your op. X

• Posted

I had a drain in wound but no catheter. Had mid thigh nightie based on what pre op assessment nurses advised and it was definitely the best thing. I wouldn't not have wanted to wear TEDS under PJ's and for the drain it was more practical.
  • Edited

Yes I too had a drain but also a catheter..which I was grateful for but had been dreading.. so a short nightie was practical  for the nurses to do what was required.

​Thinking of the pre op Hippies due this week..I remmeber the aprehension but also the massive support on this site...which helped too...always someone there 24hrs a day.

Alice

• Posted

I took nighties and a couple of pairs of lose pj bottoms. Mostly was in my nighty as its hsrd to get into pj bottoms for the first 3 days. But l would advise nighties for us ladies because of where the wound is.
  • Posted

I am. so glad for your comment. i am having my hip replacement on the 8th June. i was so worried but your response at how well you are healing has made me feel a bit better. what was the pain like after the op and the days after

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.