Nil By Mouth

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi , my father has an ERCP appointment tomorrow at 10:15am . with regard to pancreatic cancer

His brochure says "you should have nothing to eat or drink after midnight" but can take medicines with a sip of water...

Does this really mean he is expected to go 10+ hours without water ?

Personally there is no way i can get through a night without water, i have googled and seen statements on NHS docs saying no water 2 hours before procedure...

We should have asked the question at the pre assement today, but did not think of it at the time.

Any advice is appreciated.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Yes I'm afraid so. He will be asleep for most of the time though.

I hope all goes well.

• Posted

It is 6 hours I thought, you can have a bit of water but just a few small sips.

• Posted

Thanks guys... In the end he had to have some sips and was rinsing and spitting out too.

He was terribly de-hydrated as had a particularly bad night of diarrhoea. Then just before we were leaving the hospital rang to cancel as his INR levels are too high ( blood not clotting ) ..

So was all a waste of time, and now we are waiting for them to come back to us and hopefully re-book and make a plan on how to raise his INR levels.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.