Nine days post op from bunionectomy, for wants to stretch

Posted , 6 users are following.

okay so it's been 9 days since my operation, this site has been tremendously helpful however I haven't heard anyone talk about the need to stretch their foot (muscles feel so tight). this keeps waking me up at night, my toes want to reach and stretch and my ankle needs to be released from the pressure but I can't stretch adequately or it hurts my toe and the top of my foot. I NEED to stretch (point and retract), does anyone have any stretch secrets?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

"Foot", I don't know how to edit title?
  • Posted

I just massage the upper part of the leg and use ice and elevation. I start doing real exercises only after 14 days
  • Posted

I was told as well as elevate, elevate, elevate to do ankle circles, pointing & flexing foot & turning soles of feet towards one another then away from each other. Basically the excersises you would do on a flight to avoid DVT, which you need to do here. Hope that helps.
    • Posted

I've been trying to be so independent that I've most likely not elevated near as much as needed. Thank you, your advice was very helpful. I was told alphabet letters 😁 much more challenging!
  • Posted

Hi Vanessa, I to always have the need to stretch when I first wake up.

What I do is stretch the free leg first then bend my surgery leg and stretch it when my knee is bent, sound weird, but it works for me. Try it in the morning when you need to stretch. I hope that made sense and I hope it works for you.

• Posted

I was told I could do circles with my ankles and point my foot down from the ankle and flex up. Also at the same time post op I would pump my legs, alternatively up and down as if cycling in the air for a count of ten. All good for the muscles and to help prevent deep vein thrombosis. After the first check back at the hospital at 2 weeks they told me I could begin to stretch gently my foot and begin to bend my toes a little. I am today at 11 weeks and walking (almost normally) in my flat walking shoes. I began walking and driving again at 7/8 weeks but everyone recovers at slightly different times. Tried my leather boots yesterday to wear with jeans but even though the heels are about 1.75 inches I found them really painfull to walk in. Some days my foot gets really sore and swollen so I have to have a lazy day on these occasions and elevate it. Most of the time though as long as I don't stay on it it is not too bad and with each week it's getting better and better. Have patience it does take time and everyone is different. Look out for nerve jumping pain as well as aching a lot. This will ease as time goes too although I have read that this can go on for maybe a year. Hey-ho, as long as I have a pretty foot again, at the end of the day, I'll be happy. Best wishes. LadyPink
  • Posted

Slightly different op here I had hammer toe surgery but found the same especially at night.... gently does it x
  • Posted

You are all great to chime in. What is the concensus on pain meds, I just got a refill and wonder how long most people are taking narcotics to relieve the pain. Pros/cons?
    • Posted

I was taking every 4-5 hours for 3 days. Didn't like it, was throwing up, so didn't take it anymore. Suprisenly , no pain!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.