Nine monthe post TKR

Posted , 9 users are following.

Recently passed the 9 months TKR marker. To date, all has gone smoothly without any regrets about the surgery. Issues encountered at this point: have minor difficulty ascending and decending stairs, especially several consecutive flights; minor difficulty standing-up using the surgurical leg only from a kneeling position, loud popping noise, no pain; feel pressure on the knee when kneeling, but no pain; minor stiffness after a long period (a hour+) driving or sitting; continue using ice due to occassional minor swelling after strenous activities such as a hour of stationary biking or treadmill walking with 4% or 5% elevation. Other activities such as upper and lower body weight lifting and swiming have increased cardio endurance and strenghten legs. At 68 yo and retired, I am blessed to have a pain free and mobile life again. Best regards and the Lord's blessing to all fellow knee replacement graduates. 

7 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

It is good to hear a positive side to knee replacement.  I have had both my knees replaced - the first one took place in November 2014 and the second in November 2016.  I am always still so surprised that I am able to walk normally again - it is lovely - and something that we do not value until we are hit with the pain of arthritis!   I am so glad that I live in an age where medical technology has advanced to the stage where they are able to do these operations. I can remember my grandmother having to live downstairs.  She would walk about the house with the aid of a walking stick and did not venture further than the front door. No knee replacement operations available in those days.  I know that the first few months are an ordeal to get through but so worth it in the end.  Hope you continue with your good health Ranger Jack. Take care of yourself and thank you for the blessing. 

• Posted

Good for you!!! I'm at 8 1/2mths. And pretty much everything you describe. I do have a nagging (but not all of the time) pain on the inner part of my knee. Massaging with cold pain relief gel and icing helps. My exercises at the gym are going well. I am increasing the length of time on the machines (treadmill, elliptical, bike & leg press) as my muscles get stronger.  And I can dance again!! 😁 I have no regrets about the surgery either!! I am doing far more than I was able to this time last year!! I wish you continued success with your recovery!! Oh!! That popping/clicking sound....my surgeon says it's the plastic part rubbing on the metal part of the replacement part, and it's normal. 

• Posted

Thank you so much for sharing! I am five months post op...life has never been better. Lots of the minor issues you mention I find also...But sooooooo great to have a knee I can rely on!

• Posted

So nice to  hear some positive reports about TKR.  I am now 9 weeks out from my surgery and still going to therapy 3x a week. I am doing well with minimal pain.  I still cannot sit for very long with the knee bent.  I find I need to keep it elevated a good part of the day and I cannot walk very far yet.  I am no longer relying on a cane.  I can go up the stairs "normally" but must go down one step at a time leading with the operative leg. I am sleeping better.  I can drive, but drove for an hour + last weekend and my leg was swollen afterward. It has been hard work in therapy and keeping a positive attitude at times.  I am looking forward to dancing again!  Thanks for the encouraging reports.

• Posted

Sounding good! The recovery kind of takes off for many around ten weeks ish onwards! It gets better and better! At five months my mind hardly ever thinks about my knee! I am careful walking and will continue with exercising!
  • Posted

Hi Ranger jack

Great to hear that you are doing well and being so very positive I'm coming up to 12 months post TKR and also the stairs up and down still a little painful but im getting around the golf course like a good un and the great thing about it is theres no pain or swelling i wish you all the good luck in the world take care.

• Posted

Congratulations! You have accomplished a large part of the healing process and you are not having any pain. The stairs will come soon.  Continue to go up and down, but please hold on to the railings. One day will be the norm. I am post 10 months TKR and still cannot bend my knee to 120, but could go up and down the stairs with no problem. Everyone heals differently.  Thanks for posting your progress. 
  • Posted

I am 17 months post-op.  My thoughts...

"...have minor difficulty ascending and descending stairs..."  Normal.  Have to build the leg and core strength...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/mastering-post-tkr-stairs-552728

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/post-tkr-exercising-565527

"...minor difficulty standing-up using the surgical leg only from a kneeling position..."  Normal...see the exercising post, above.  Will get stronger in time.

"...loud popping noise, no pain..."  Yeah...popping, clunking, etc.  Mine decreased over time but still there.  Could last for 12-18 months or never go away.  Ignore it.

"...feel pressure on the knee when kneeling, but no pain..."  There's no pain because the knee is METAL!!!  You're feeling nerve pain from the regeneration.  Could go away or last for a long time...who knows.  For indoor work, I use an old pillow or 3" foam pad.  Outside, I use a set of padded tactical (SWAT) knee pads.  Poifect.

"...minor stiffness after a long period (a hour+) driving or sitting..."  Normal.  Should get better in time.  I now sit 4-hours at a time and still feel a little stiffness the first few steps when I get up.  Should take more standing breaks to stop it.  Minor issue.

"...continue using ice due to occasional minor swelling after strenuous activities such as an hour of stationary biking or treadmill walking with 4% or 5% elevation..."  Swelling ALWAYS indicates that you overworked the knee...ALWAYS.  Find you pain point...back off...increase gradually.  A pedometer works great for your steps.  Try using an elliptical instead of a treadmill.  Running is forbidden; excessive walking may be the stressor.  Experiment to find what's causing the swelling.  Back off and increase one exercise at a time.  Evaluate.  Move forward to find the pain point for each exercise.

"Other activities such as upper and lower body weight lifting and swimming have increased cardio endurance and strengthen legs."  Refer to the exercise program, above.  The focus is on endurance (reps) and not the weight...which comes in time.  You may be overstressing things.  The swimming is GREAT!!!!!

"At 68 yo and retired, I am blessed to have a pain free and mobile life again."  I'm almost 70 and will NEVER retire...love what I do too much.  And, yes, it's great to be mobile again pain-free.

• Posted

OMG, groupies!!!  However, what I really need is ROADIES to haul all my bass equipment to gigs and then do the loadout for me at 2 am.  Blues musicians work very late...nature of The Blues.  Problem is that every Christmas I ask Santa for roadies and get socks.  He and I need a to talk...out in some deserted parking lot...with tire irons at ten paces.  That's how we Sicilians solve issues in Brooklyn...  Hmmmm...almost 70 years old and I have a groupie...feels nice...

• Posted

Yo Chico,

Thanks for the sage advise. How's my NYC friend doing in Texas? Found any place that serves egg creams, sells pink hi-bounce balls, and unofficial stick ball bats? What a unique experience we share growing-up in NYC during the 50s and mid 60s. Yankee, Dodgers, and Giants bleachers seats were 75 cents, while general admission to Knicks and Rangers games were $1 and a subway ride was 10 cents. Remember the corner candy store, the fountain/shake shop, and pizza parlors. Free admission to all NYC museums, the Shaefer Summer Music shows in Central park, 1964 World's Fair, and the Filmore East where each show featured 3 bands for $4. Roller hockey, stick ball, box ball, punch ball, stoop ball, playground basketball, and running from the cops after breaking a window. The aroma of roasting chestnuts on a cold day, or knishes in the summer, hot dog carts, and Good Humor ice cream trucks. Lifelong friendships. What memories, all great! Best regards, RJ (Manhattan 86 St).

• Posted

Unofficial stick ball bats were your mother's broom stick handles cut to 38" with some sticky electrical take on the handle end....  Egg Creams contain no eggs and no cream.  Is this a test?

You paid a buck to see the Rangers and Knicks?  It was 50-cents with your high school G.O. card!!!  We'd see an afternoon Knick game, walk out, pay the two bits and walk right back in to see them convert the basketball court into an ice rink!  People don't even know what a "stoop" is anymore...

Started roller hockey at age 7 on metal wheels...played ice, roller and street for 45 years...still have my original leather roller BOOTS with the metal undercarriage...like "bling" in those days.  Tough to find goalie pads at a young age.  Made my own Jacques Plante mask out of coat hangers, metal surgical tape cans and duct tape to play on ice.  Boy, was I freaking stupid in those days when I played goal for Fordham 67-69.  

Got a job in the summers working at a surf club on Breezy Point in the Rockaways.  Sheepshead Bay for the linguini with white clam sauce.  Yup...being a Sicilian in Bay Ridge surrounded by the entire Mafia was a real trip growing up.  Worked in my dad's grocery store for 15 years on Saturdays...delivered to the whole mob.  Sometimes the deliveries stopped abruptly...

Great memories...  Enjoy the energy of the greatest city on earth...

• Posted

Thanks for the reply TKR godfather. Egg cream=chocolate syrup and selzer water, add a cherry for an extra 2 cents. Since you're so much older than me, they raised the Knicks and Rangers GO card admission to a $1 in 1964. Fordham University, very impressive. I am a Power Memorial and Iona College '71 grad. Played HS basketball and baseball. I wasn't tough or skilled enough to play hockey after 12 yo. Never missed a San Gennaro Festival in Little Italy, the food, the gorgeous gals. NYC the world's best Italian food and restaurants; and, the best Irish Bars. Cheers, RJ.      

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.