Nine weeks on Venlafaxine

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been on Venlafaxine for 9 weeks now and it’s my 4th week on 225. My anxiety has calmed down greatly but I am still very depressed. I have been poorly since end of April and I am starting to get worried what if Venlafaxine is not going to work. I haven’t had a normal good day yet. I know we should give antidepressant 12 weeks but I am starting to feel hopeless that nothing is going to help sad

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I am similar in the fact I’m only 7 weeks on ven increased to 150mg per day for last 2 1/2 weeks. I went to doctors today as I am panicking that these are not going to work for me either but she said to stick with them to give them time to work. I suffer from anxiety but have felt really down whilst being on this medication I’m hoping it just a side effect. I feel awful tired and anxious in morning but come dinner time I feel nearly normal. Just hope it sorts itself out. I’m not sure what else you have been on but the fact your anxiety has improved it may take longer for it to lift your mood x

• Posted

It’s like a torture all this waiting... Depression has been my main problem and anxiety came in July when I felt worse and no better. I was on Sertraline for a month but struggled with sleep so switched to Mirtazapine which I really regret because I went really downhill and my depression became so severe that I didn’t even know a human can feel this way...sad I am just so hopeless and scared. My doc app is not until Monday and I feel mentally and physically exhausted and broken by depression.
    • Posted

Hi I feel for you please bear with it you will get there in the end and this site is good knowing you are not alone. Please let us know how you get on on Monday x
    • Posted

Hi Sarah, I will be off by the end of the week. My doc wants to me off it due to next day fatigue and tiredness. I will have a different med added to Ven next week.
  • Posted

It really does take time I am on 300mg which took a time to settle each time I had an increase.Stick with it .i was a year off work with a breakdown desperate to get better I had three changes before settling on venlafaxine I can remember saying to doc I think it's working but feel I just need something to bring me up and over .so doc increased mg s., each fortnight until I settled on 300mg where I have stayed.however it is a MUST to take them a the same time every day as it can have an effect on you if you go over time which I have done and have gone downhill .so it is best to keep it stable.xx

• Posted

Hi Dawn, you have also gone through a lot... do you feel back to your old self and are you back at work now? Are you able to sleep on 300 with no problems? At the minute I don’t really feel like Ven is working for my depressionsad it is making me calmer though.x
    • Posted

Hi Dawn

It has helped reading your story. I had to give up a job as my anxiety took over and had never felt so bad. I feel guilty being out of work and this is coming into my 3rd month! I just want to feel normal again like I can cope before I look for work because I know if I go to soon I’ll crumble and walk! X

• Posted

Hi dawn, you are on 300mgs like me. I have been on ven 16 weeks now, was on 225mgs which finally started helping a little bit after 8 weeks on 225mgs but I still wasn’t myself. Dr increased to 300mgs nearly 3 weeks ago. Since then I feel I’ve gone backwards, really tired, foggy, sore/tense muscles and no energy or motivation. Did it take you a while on 300mgs to start feeling better? Did increses make you feel worse for a bit? Thankyou, vicki 
    • Posted

I can feel your anxiety please give yourself Time it will take it anyhow there is no rushing this ,be kind to yourself,I know how difficult it is and you just want to be well ,looking back I wish I did not panic but it is quite normal you know and  you will Get there .This is an illness YOU WILL GET BETTER I can assure you of that ,remember to take your meds same time everyday then your body /brain will get used to receiving them without running on empty .hope that makes sense take care xxxx

• Posted

I forgot to tell you I am back at work,I started back mornings in January then gradually built up to full days.by April this year taking my time x
  • Posted

Yes it did take a while to settle each time I had an increase I would say about 6 weeks ,I do sleep ok now ,I still have early morning wake up about 1.30 to 2 am but go back off no problem now at first I was anxious but have accepted it now which is so important to this awful illness xxxxx

• Posted

Hi Dawn, was going to ask you about improvements. Did your depression improved at all on 225? I will be starting 5th week on Monday on that dose and so far a Cohan’s calmed down greatly but not depressed mood. X
  • Posted

Hi the depression was still there anxiety got better it took over a year though frustrating for you but you will get better xxxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.