Nine Weeks Post Op ... Foot still swollen

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all,

I'm nine weeks post op bunionectomy,realignment and fusion tomorrow, my foot is still puffy and unable to wear normal shoes as it makes my foot swell even more, anyone else still having problems?

Thanks.

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi terri

sorry to be a bringer of bad news - I after 10 months still can't wear any 'feminine' shoes 😕

looks like my feet have been swapped for someone else's and are a different shape to before.

many pains in the morning, still have to do exercises to loosen them up, but, doc martins with an evening dress certainly gets people talking, also my husband still takes on the duty of clothes washing etc, so I think the op was very successful.

still early days, remember patience, you'll  need it now as your recovery will be much slower than you thought it would be.

caroline

• Posted

Hi Caroline,

I feel that my big toe is alien to me, doesn't look like my old toe!

My last bunionectomy was much faster recovery but this last op was a three in one!

I have now bought lookalike Ugg boots, nice and wide.

All the best, Terri 😃

• Posted

Hi, I am wearing 2 sizes bigger than my regular size and extra wide width, wondering. If you had the same problem, and when do you go back to your regular size.?
  • Posted

Hi, Terri66--Don't get discouraged.  I had op a little over 8 weeks ago.  Was furtunate and able to get into athletic shoes at 6 weeks.  Still 'hobbling' a bit, but seem to be making progress.  Swelling a little better each week depending on activity.  My surgeon told me not to wear sandals AT ALL.  To stay in rounded toe supportivew shoes; the benchmark is 'if it is comfortable, it's ok".  Have you been told that your joint is healed?  If you have, have you been doing PT or flexibility exercises on your own?  I went online because my surgeon simply said the bone is healed and to start walking and using the foot.  I found a week by week set of exercises that have really helped--plus I massage it at least once a day to get the lymph moving.  Still use ice some of the time thought it doesn't seem to help as much as at first.  Also, my surgeon told me in my first consult that the foot will swell to varying degrees for at least a year, so don't get too upset about the swelling and not being able to get into a shoe.  Probably PT would help you if you are this far out and still having this much trouble.  Good Luck.
    • Posted

Hi,

I had a fusion, bunionectomy and realignment so can't do any excercise on the toe, I am unhappy by the way the toe is positioned with the gap, and can only wear wide fitting shoes.

I can't put ice on my foot to reduce the swelling as the toe gets red and warm, the GP said there is some damage to the nerve endings and to always keep that foot warm!

All the best.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.