Nine year old with HSP. Should she have the flu jab?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello

My nine year old daughter was diagnosed with HSP almost a month ago. She has experienced tummy aches, head aches, the rash and swollen and stiff joints (this has been the worst symptom by far). As yet, no kidney involvement thank God but she will be tested regularly for 12 months so I know we have a long road ahead of us. My question is, should she have the nasal spray/ flu jab? She is due to have it at school a week from now. Is she at risk because her immune system is compromised? I will ask the same question of my GP. Also, any view on when we can reintroduce sport? The GP advised that rest is beneficial. Any advice gratefully received. Thank you in advance.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Definitely consult with your GP on the nasal spray and monitor her blood pressure on a regular basis. I was able to play youth sports again when I did recover. As parents we have to protect our children so do not hesitate to get a 2nd opinion or consult with a children's hospital.

• Posted

Hello,

I had HSP when I was 15. I was in hospital for 3 months with all of your daughter'symptoms and a surgery. I fully recovered after 6 months and was able to play since then any sports and have a normal life. Fortunately even if children have very serious symptoms, most of them fully recover and never "meet with" HSP again. I don't know what to say about vaccines, but sometimes they trigger the HSP. I have only done yellow fever vaccine for the last 22 years. The doctor will advice you better. Rest is absolutely important and healthy food as well.

• Posted

I just thought I would provide an update in case anyone else has the same concern. We saw a nurse on Monday for our weekly blood pressure and urine test and she advised not to have the nasal spray as it contains live antibodies but to have the injection instead. A child of my daughter's age would not normally have the injection. I am glad I asked the question.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.