Nissan Fundoplication - Post Op

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi All,

I had a full laproscopic nissan fundoplication surgery about 2 weeks ago to try and resolve my gerd issue which has plagued me for many years. My recovery seems to be going pretty well post op:

• Can burp or belch a bit (no gas issues)
  • Cuts healing well
  • Can eat more food (still avoiding fizzy drinks and solid foods that dont break down easily)

The only issue that I still have is that it feels like i still have the horrible gnawing and burning pain in my upper mid stomach. I am paranoid that the operation wasnt a success/too loose and stomach acid is ONCE AGAIN irritating my oesophogus?!

Is this normal post op and will these symptoms subside over time as the stomach and oesophygus heals?

I would appreciate ANY advice.

Thanks

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi Glen,

I'm 7 weeks post op. I had the Toupet fundoplication ( 270 wrap ) I had to have this instead of the Nissan because of issue with my esophagus.

my recovery so far as been going quite well, however I too have had that dreaded heartburn feeling. when I first felt it I straight away thought this operation has failed and I was devastated.

however im so much better than before op! I'm finding some foods I couldn't eat before are fine and cause no issues and then others I try like tomatoes for example.... heartburn. its not as bad as before op but my surgeon told me I would be able to eat curry and no way do I feel like I would be able to with no symtoms. I have however spent hours on the Internet reading advice from other fundoplication warriors and it would seem that some never suffered after op and some did and found it calm down as recovery progressed. we are still early days in to recovery. hang in there and don't feel too disheartened...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.